Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cloudburst?  (Read 2007 times)

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
Cloudburst?
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:54:41 am »
Went into the goat shed this morning and my BT's bed looked like the roof had leaked in a perfect circle - it was soaked. Had a minor moan to the OH about the necessity of re felting (it's on the 'to do' list for April) and got on with milking. First thing I noticed was that her udder was dripping wet and her tail was soaked too - alarm bells ringing. Cleaned her up and got on with milking and as I was doing so she was just leaking from her rear. Not peeing, just leaking. Milk has gone to the dogs, bed cleaned up and goat happily munching hay.

Now she has been looking VERY porky for about 5 weeks and we were joking about one of last year's kids being a rig but I wasn't seriously concerned as she tends to blow up on hay and grass anyway- just thought she was pigging out a bit. I didn't manage to get her in kid this time as she didn't come into season noticeably. We tried her a couple of times with a billy but she really wasn't interested. As this all coincided with my son's graduation and a trip to edinburgh, then christmas..I actually gave up and decided to milk her through this year.

I'm now thinking that this was a false pregnancy but I've never experienced one before...would love to hear opinions of anyone who has one  ;)

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Cloudburst?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:49:35 pm »
I'm new to this so my experience is limited but my goatling cloudburst twice last autumn with results very much like what you've described.  I now dab any 'too much for a wee' size wet patches with paper towel - with the cloudbursts I found liquid is tinged brownish-red.

My girl wasn't soaked herself on either occasion but being in her own pen it was obvious where the mess had originated (new roof, so no confusion there!).  She showed no other effects, was not off her feed or at all different.  She did not come back into season so is barren this year and I hope to have better luck with her next time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS