Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: best timber for fencing  (Read 27508 times)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
Re: best timber for fencing
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 07:26:57 pm »
Good point. 

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 09:41:00 pm »
I saw some chestnut materials this morning - good posts, variable struts and better than expected half-round and quarter stanks. The look of the job suffered though thanks to the half round and quarter stanks not driving straight  :-\

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 02:36:03 pm »
Well... it feels like months since I said lets do some fencing. And know what? It is...

After contacting local agricultural suppliers and being met by grunts of no idea what you are talking about when we asked what timber they were using, what treatment and what class it has been treated to (and possibly, possibly would you have a certificate?) we decided to approach local-ish sawmills who said they did class 4 timber. We asked for Redwood (presumed this would be Scandinavian, but it seems there is no accepted definition of what redwood is - either in country or species origin). Nor could they guarantee what we would actually get since they 'buy' them in in mixed bundles. Eh? What happened to saw mills, sawing and milling? So we couldn't get Larch of any nationality.

Decided we were going to buy from Jacksons who seem to be the only company who put their money where their mouth is and offer a 25 year guarantee (none of this should, could, probably, possibly last up to 10/15/20 years). However, after finding yet more chewed posts (no not escaped beavers, the equines) we have decided to go with creosoted timber. No idea what timber it will be, of course :'( but even if it does rot at ground level it won't be gnawed down by the horses.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 02:59:34 pm »
but creosote is toxic and tanalised isnt.  i cant see why you cant get properly treated redwood its frankly ridiculous. however its your fence!! why dont you call truro sawmills on 01872561070, theyre very helpful and should be able to put you onto someone in your neck of the woods, they may even be able to supply you?

ive just phoned these guys in honiton, they supply class 4 and have a high pressure treatment plant.

http://blamphaynesawmills.co.uk/our-products/field-and-agricultural-gates/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:02:39 pm by deepinthewoods »

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 06:02:11 pm »
Not actually sure we have a quote from Blamphayne - we did ask but after almost 4 weeks waiting have given up.  Maybe a thousand pound order for timber isn't big enough for them to be interested?

As I said the other two sawmills did quote but when questioned couldn't supply a specific species and we decided we wanted either larch or scandinavian redwood (and not quick growing British scots pine which could have been in the pile). Warranty was generally 10/15 years as well as I recall, so not as good as Jacksons. Its the horses chewing the timber which has pushed us to creosote option, plus we think it will last 20 years plus.

Didn't find anyone supplying chestnut in SW anyone else googled were small suppliers in SE or wales (wouldn't have been proper post and rail as that is £45/ bay anyway).

As we haven't paid the proforma invoice yet, i will give Truro sawmills a call tomorrow but the other two saw mills were closer and it seems to be a common refrain that any fencing posts supplied will be 'mixed species', so presume this is a reflection of the fencing sector as a whole.  I did find a company near swindon who only use russian redwood but it would mean collecting which we can't do.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 07:38:23 pm »
personally i would stick with blamphayne,they have what you need!!!!  go in and see them, if theyre the only quality sawmill in your area then them being busy is understandable, old fashioned creosote is now illegal, youd be getting 'creocote' which as far as i can see isnt as good..
 tanalised timber is safe for animals. and its time proved that it lasts, i cant imagine any firm offering and then honouring a 15yr guarantee,  it wouldnt make sense, how would they quantify the conditions of use?
i think most wood thats been tanalised would be fit for purpose, the extra quality of redwood would be a bonus.  truro sawmills would be a good call, but im not sure if your too far away from them. god, at this rate ill deliver it myself!!!
you wont find chestnut, its not grown as a crop like in france.

well thats my honest opinion, and i hope it saves you some money longterm.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 09:40:14 pm »
http://www.hfstimber.co.uk/creosote-treated-timber.htm

Its creosote - can only buy it as a "professional" user. I will give Truro a ring, but Blamphayne can only supply spruce and douglas fir with a few items as "redwood". HFS's prices aren't too bad, when you factor in we would have to paint something to stop cribbing any way.   Thanks for advice anyway.

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 10:57:03 pm »
Deepinthewoods - what you say about tanalising used to be true but there have been significant changes to the tanalising fluid (removal of arsenic for one) that means it is now little more than green water - hence all the problems that are now afflicting the fencing industry as tanalised fence posts as little as 3 years old are rotting off at ground level.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 08:55:39 am »
We've got tanalised posts that are three years old and rotting. Not impressed at all. I use chestnut now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS