Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: best timber for fencing  (Read 27507 times)

robert waddell

Re: best timber for fencing
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 10:53:36 pm »
but is it in the top 15 :farmer:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 10:58:47 pm »
top 15 what? ???

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 11:08:32 pm »
the specimen sequoia is it in the top 15 of that tree :farmer:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 11:25:00 pm »
id very much doubt it!! its not huge by any means, maybe 3m diameter trunk at waist height, and guestimate 100ft tall.  theres a few types of sequoia, i b elieve, but im no expert in tree identification. a few of the trees near my house are monitored by a scottish organization the name i cant remember the guy said that there were only two places, outside of scotland that they were growing.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 11:10:10 am »
Hi Deep in the woods.

The local suppliers are selling tanalised timber - they just can't alsways tell us what timber it is nor to what class it has been tanalised.

Please also ensure that the timber you use has been treated to the correct specification - Arch Specification Code TE/Gfa if the timber is to be used above ground (Use Class 3) and TE/GFb if it is to be used in ground (Use Class 4).

http://www.archtp.com/Products/PreservativeProtection/faq.htm#TanEUse

http://www.archtp.com/Products/hazard.htm

I have contacted 3 saw mills and 2 weeks later have only 1 price back - it can't be that unusual? surely all timber posts should be to class 4 as a matter of course or not fit for purpose?

Thanks or feedback on timber species - we have  asked for "redwood"  but will clarify larch.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 11:45:07 am »
there is vast differences in tantalizing  some use green dye others do the job properly
check on what equipment is needed for the tantalizing then ask sawmill if they have that equipment :farmer:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 03:41:34 pm »
I'm looking into this too. The problem with asking about tanalised is that most suppliers respond with "Oh yes, they're properly pressure treated" but then won't offer any kind of guarantee.

My local supplier can do 1/2 round (pressure treated spruce) posts for £1.15, but they're  not guaranteed and the local farmer who suggested the supplier admits they don't last.

I did find this almost local supplier:

http://www.fenceandforget.co.uk/index.html

but they're £3 a post  :o  (though the posts should outlast me) and another in Bath (Jacksons) that guarantee for 25 years and will deliver to SW wales but by then it works out at about £3 a post again.

I think I may buy cheap posts (and make some from overgrown hedges) and stand them in creosote 'til they soak it up above ground level. Trouble is, that takes time, especially for the home-made ones that are not dried yet, and I want to get some fencing done whilst the ground is wet rather than wait for summer.

maybe I will just have to get my wallet out  :'(

mab

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13:17 pm »
Its the same old story for me. I have time but not money - like the locals.
A tin of wood preserve would cost a fortune here. Wood is free so I have cut long dead chestnut poles that are still vertical. They are easy to split and point with an axe.
We all just stick a chestnut post in - sometimes they are the same height and sometimes the are vaguely equal distance. In early spring people go around checking fence posts - if needed they put a new one in next to a duff one. The duff one stay in the ground. I did however find a pile of posts ( and wire) in the "dump" woods. They are on the log pile now ( minus the wire). 

There is not much to do in the early spring so the above fills a few days and costs nothing.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 09:21:28 pm »
you can buy tins of tanalith 'e'. pour it in a bucket  and soak the ends of your cut timber in it for a few days. make sure the timber is dry and it should absorb loads. i use this technique when i make sash window cills out of local oak and i want to protect the cut end. please take all usual precautions with your bucket, dont leave it accesible to young children or opportunistic alcoholics. it dont taste nice 'hic' ;)

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:24 pm »
Well I' using creosote 'cos that's what I've got.

Where can you buy Tanalith e? just googled it and couldn't see anyone supplying it in less than 1000litres?

m

deepinthewoods

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 09:52:39 pm »
i buy it in 1l tins from my sawmill. not much help i know, ill ask him 2moro.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 09:54:53 pm »
i think its called ENSELE.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 09:56:21 pm »

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 12:55:58 am »
Thx  8)

m

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 05:37:58 am »
As long as your strainers are good the other posts are there as 'guidance' and can be replaced when some animal sctraches its arse on it or you knock it over by accident with the tractor ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS