Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chorioptic mange treatment  (Read 4651 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Chorioptic mange treatment
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:42:52 pm »
Hi all,

I think one of my goats has chorioptic mange - based on resemblence of her legs to pictures I have seen on the internet - I have doused her with louse powder - what do you use to treat these?

Thanks

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Chorioptic mange treatment
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:53:23 pm »
Our Clydesdale suffers with this in is feathers and it seems to be almost impossible to get rid of completely - we just keep it in check. Frontline spray helps, neem oil shampoo, pig oil and sulphur, sudocreme and there is an injection that is licensed for cattle - Dectomax - that a lot of people swear by.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 07:24:39 am »
I've just logged on to look for info on this!!

Our Reggie has very sore, broken hocks on his back legs.  I've tried louse powder but its not helped, I put a frontline 'spot-on' treatment for Large dogs on him on Thursday and have been spraying him with Neem oil and yesterday slathered his legs with a tea tree balm to try and soothe it.

I was going to call the vet in today but wondering if that's neccessary? I think we used Ivermectin injection before.

Is your girl rubbing herself and looking a bit fed up Cuckoo? reggie is  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:31:03 am »
long time since I had this but I think I used something with Benzol Benzoid? in it,got something from the local chemist called Quellida but thats when pharmasists could still use their brians and give you something that worked ;)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:21:45 pm »
Hi All,

She has lost the fur on the lower part of her legs - the skin is dry and crusty and has bled in places - yesterday I dosed her legs with Battles louse powder and also the floor of the shelter - the powder says dont use on animals but one of my vets has said it is okay to use - I have used this previously for lice and chorioptic mange but wanter to know how other people deal with it.  I have read ivermetin is ineffective.  I have previously used eprinex pour on for cattle - but was planning on avoiding it this year as rotating wormers.

Thanks

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 10:52:55 am »
My vet says some goats are just very susceptable and it is really difficult to get rid of - it can be on fence posts, the ground etc.  I use neem oil which I put on thickly as well as vet stuff if its bad.  I just have a couple of goats who suffer, the rest seem fairly immune

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 09:30:42 pm »
Hi, we always called this "pasture mite" and when we had a little pygmy nanny we treated her with the "large dog spot on" and it worked a treat ;D

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:52:07 pm »
Thank you for all replies - I have some front line but am not sure of withdrawal periods etc.  I may just use eprinex to get rid of the problem and then stick to the other wormer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS