Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: And Finally....  (Read 2414 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
And Finally....
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »
Well - my first goat kidded on 4th January - then the next 5 in fairly quick succession - but Sorbet our GG - well we have just been waiting and waiting - watching her getting bigger and bigger and wondering when she would explode - well kid!

She has been bagged up, sides dropped in and tail slackened off for ages.

She did it in style today - all on her own - I was at work - I came home and her and the kids were outside the garage (doubles up for kidding) - she had managed to kid outside her pen.

Photos below - in case you cant guess - Dad (Rupert) is a Boer.  They are two boys - so will be rung and put in the freezer later on in the year.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: And Finally....
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »
gorgeous, congratulations :)
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 12:08:19 am »
Beautiful.  Well done Sorbet.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 06:45:12 am »
Very sweet  ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 09:11:51 pm »
Is it that GG's bag up, have the tailbone up etc for ages before, where other breeds (like my BT for example) are doing all this a couple of hours before? My GG looked ready to pop for about 4 weeks before, udder well and truly there. My BT is due tomorrow, but other than the tail up a bit and a HUGE belly she's just normal,...

The kids do look cute though! Well done for her for doing it all on her own!

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:16:48 pm »
They are beautiful, well done.
My BT maiden is due next monday and like Anke's does not look very much different from her non-pregnant aunt. Except a bit more movement in her belly at feed times. fingers crossed that we manage to kid as easily as Sorbet.  :thumbsup:
So many ideas, not enough hours

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:03:15 pm »
Thanks for replies - Sorbet looked ready t kid for the last few weeks - just didnt have a good due date.  She was a bit unsteady on her feet so have given her some s.c. calcium - she hated it - made horrible noises - I hated it too as vet said to give 50ml (total) in 3 different areas.  She also had a long acting antibiotic jab.

She is an experienced mum and her previous kid she mothered really well - with these two she seems to favour one kid (one with patch on rump) but the other she bites his ears and tail, head butts him away and is generally not very attentive to cleaning his bum etc.  He is active, has a round tummy indicating he is feeding and has started doing milky poo so he must be feeding.  I have tried bottle feeding him and holding him to her but he is not bothered.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS