Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep scouring  (Read 2395 times)

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
Sheep scouring
« on: March 19, 2012, 08:52:21 pm »
Podita gave birth to a single three weeks ago today.  She has been ok despite a lot of intervention from the vet (he gave her Oxytocin and Betamox- after the birth). 

Last wednesday I noticed a little scouring, so on the advice of the vet (on Friday) I wormed all of the sheep (he thought it may be a heavy worm burden evident after labour).  She seemed to improve on Saturday and Sunday and then today I noticed scouring on the field.  You can see from her back end it is her and I think it looks like pink tissue near some of the scouring.  I intend to speak to the vet in the morning but could this be an infection?

Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Sheep scouring
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:13:29 pm »
Pink tissue - tape worm maybe?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: Sheep scouring
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:18:24 pm »
there is often a little bit of light coloured discharge afterlambing but not a lot. What sort of wormer did you use? did you estimate her weight correctly? .....have you had a worm count done?
An infected discharge looks extradinarily like strawberry jam and pongs!

Good luck.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS