Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs- thank you  (Read 2734 times)

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
Lambs- thank you
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:52:49 pm »
Well that is me done now until May.  My first three sheep (ever) lambed (soays).  Three more possibly in May (not sure if they are pregnant though as two are very old). 

The lambs are extremely cute and I could quite honestly sit and watch them all day.  I have certainly learnt a lot after my first very difficult lambing and I am very tired after 20 nights of disturbed sleep (and they all lambed during the day- not sure how I would have coped with 200 sheep).

I feel more confident and we just have two more to castrate (todays new one and a tiny twin).  I was a little disappointed to get 3 ram lambs and only 1 ewe lamb, but they are all healthy and after watching the horror that everybody is going through on here I am so grateful!!

Thank you for everybody's help and advice!
Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Lambs- thank you
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:58:10 pm »
Dear little things :) Breeding any kind of animal is a combination of excitement, worry, elation and more worry. I hope all goes well for them and for your old ewes. I have a Shetland who is 13 this year and I'm pretty sure is going to produce in a couple of weeks. Dear of her :)

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:11:30 pm »
It certainly has been lots of emotions- I feel like maybe I am not good enough to have sheep at times! It is a steep learning curve and I desperately would like to get it right.  I look forward to hearing about your Shetland to see what she has,  We put Carlos in with all three of our ewes that we kind of inherited.  The vet said commercially he would have got rid of two of them as one has no teeth (the one he thinks is about 12) and the other one tooth.  The ram went through two cycles but nothing since- due about May 15th (if in lamb).  will start to watch them from mid April, as with my first three I could see them growing! 
Good look with your shetland. 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:03:17 am »
What super little lambs - and your right, Mum's and lambs all healthy is a blessing I hope our do so well. Well done
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:44:07 am »

.....what beautiful little sheep  :love: well done you.
Tilly  :wave:

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:57:06 am »
They are super ....well done you and the mums of course.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:04:12 am »
Lovely little lambs, well done
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:10:10 am »
Congratulations - cant wait to do the same next year!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:21:38 pm »
They are lovely , and nice photos, they are very like the castlemilk without the cream colour . isn't it nice when they lamb in daylight.

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »
Thank you for all of the lovely comments.  :) I am delighted to have been so lucky with healthy lambs.  They certainly all look different and already showing characters. 

I will have to stop spending all my time watching them - it is very addictive!!!  :)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 05:29:02 pm »
well done squeasy, it's quite right that you should sit bck and enjoy what you and your sheep have achieved  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS