Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land Purchase  (Read 3022 times)

VIPER9153

• Joined Mar 2012
Land Purchase
« on: March 16, 2012, 08:34:10 pm »
Hi,  6 neighbours and I are working to purchase circa 5000 sq metres of agricultural land at the rear of our properties. To add to the challenge the land is in an area of AONB, although our properties are not.

We wish to delineate each section with stock fencing and plant hornbeam to form hedges. I intend to create a wildflower meadow with a selection of fruit trees and install 4 bee hives. I am unsure as to what the others will do but does anyone see any major issues we should be aware of? Thanks

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Land Purchase
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:36:08 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Don't know where you live, but where I am,  the Council seem very strict about agricultural land being changed in any way.  They do not allow any mowing of the grass or planting of trees and flowers etc......but probably a wildflower meadow would be acceptable.  If your neighbours want to make gardens, they would probably have to apply for planning permission.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:04:30 am »
does anyone see any major issues we should be aware of? Thanks

Yes, you'll almost certainly require planning permission.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:03:48 pm »
Friend of mine did the same thing and split the land up so that each neighbour along the street extended their gardens. The Council kicked up one hell of a stink which is still going on 3 years later. One of the neighbours has been unable to sell her house as a result unless she replaces the original fence and sells the land to one of the adjoining neighbours. Think it all came about because a local councillor, who lived in the street, didn't buy the bit behind her because of the cost, but made sure that everyone who did suffered -nasty piece of work as I have found out before.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:27:15 am »
It will amount to a change of use  and will need Planning Consent.  The other complication is the AONB.

If it was me.... knowing all the legal wrangling that will ensue & possible Court appearances....I would drop this one like a hot coal.

It really is not worth the agro despite the attraction  of extending the garden.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:52:02 pm »
hi there, don't know about the issue but welcome aboard!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS