Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scottish Smallholders Association  (Read 7760 times)

ScottishSmallholdersAssoc

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Scotland
  • Scottish Smallholders Association
    • Scottish Smallholders Association Facebook
Scottish Smallholders Association
« on: March 05, 2012, 03:38:13 pm »
The Scottish Smallholders Association has been established for more than 15 years. Comprising of members mostly from the Central West and South West of Scotland. We organise craft and social events as well as events that are interesting and educational for smallholders. You don't have to reside in Scotland to be a member! Nor do you have to be a p...aid member to join our facebook group! On a regular basis we publish a newsletter bursting with information on various topics that are of use and interest to the smallholder. Members receive the newsletter for free as part of the membership package. The current rate for membership is £10 per family per annum.

We are looking for more small holders to join us. Drop an email. Last year we had successful spinning, weaving craft work courses and Bonfire night. This year started with a Burns Night barn dance and we hope to have more craft and social events scheduled soon. As a group we also network.

To Join us call Laine Daff on 07989856171

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/scottishsmallholders/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:12:00 pm by ScottishSmallholdersAssoc »

HappyHippy

Re: Scottish Smallholders Association
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 03:45:04 pm »
Hiya Sue  :wave:
Glad to see you made it  ;)
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 05:21:02 pm »
well it would be burns night celebrations coming from Ayrshire    i know some burns ;) ;) :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:39:34 pm »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:31:37 pm »
hey there, long way from ya in Oxford
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

ScottishSmallholdersAssoc

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Scotland
  • Scottish Smallholders Association
    • Scottish Smallholders Association Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:55:48 am »
Thanks everyone for welcoming us to the site. Irene Hudson of the Scottish Smallholders Association has arranged a felting workshop for Wednesday, 28th March in the Fulton Hall, Fenwick from 7.30pm to 10pm. It will be a hands-on introduction to wet felting. She is supplying the raw materials . It would be helpful if people could bring a towel and a small bowl with them. If people enjoy it and would like to learn more, Irene could organise a follow up workshop. Drop an email to let us know who is attending. Contact for this and new members is Laine Daff green.side@btinternet.com

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 08:03:25 am »
Hi from the opposite end of Scotland... Is it just coincidence that you are mostly south west based smallholders?

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:53:35 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum from central scotland  :wave: :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:09:00 am »
Hi from the opposite end of Scotland... Is it just coincidence that you are mostly south west based smallholders?
Central Scotland Smallholders covers the middle bit.  The name for SS was probably an obvious one if there were no other similar groups.  Do you have a smallholders group already established up there  ??? - if not, why not start one - North Scotland Smallholders.  We could have an annual federation meeting with reps from each group to exchange ideas. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 10:04:46 am »
Do you have a smallholders group already established up there  ??? - if not, why not start one - North Scotland Smallholders.  We could have an annual federation meeting with reps from each group to exchange ideas. ;D
Now, that's a good idea  ;)
A Scottish smallholding association with regional groups but one big meeting/event every year to bring everyone together.......hmmmm, wonder what kind of big event we could have  ;) :D :D :D

Definately seems like a good idea to compare events programmes and allow everyone the chance to attend, even if the groups didn't merge into one big association (but strength in numbers and all that !)

I know there was a thread a while ago about starting a North East group, but can't remember what happened :-\ There's also the Biggar smallholders who might like to also come on board ?
Who's volunteeing for the co-ordination effort ?  ;D I'm happy to help if I can  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:26:59 am »
Ok in for a  penny, in for a  pound - since I couldn't help Rosemary due to another commitment.  Give me names and contact details of Secretaries of any Smallholders group in Scotland and I'll set it up.

Giving up Stirling City Choir Treasurership in October so will have a bit of spare time.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 11:47:00 am »
Don't want to put a dampner on things but I belong to North Yorkshire smallholders but it actually has members from the Scottish borders down to Humberside so really could be called North East smallholders! People mainly use it for advertising their samllholding wares/activities, generally as with all groups as regards activities there is some apathy in attendance and out of hundreds of members its lucky if 30 turn up for events, (i hold my hands up am guilty of not going to do's :-[ ) this also the same as the GOS club which has over 400 members, we're lucky to get 30 turn up for the AGM or a dozen for a workshop! So just be aware that it may turn out the valiant few end up doing all the work.
It may be different up in Scotland as some of you are more remote and will relish the chance to meet up with like minded people so i wish you the best of luck.
Mandy  :pig:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 03:39:23 pm »
I think you have what are called motorways down there - they help get you to other places in a reasonable length of time.

For instance if I wanted to visit my smallholding in Aberdeenshire it would take me almost three hours to get there - the same to get to Brucklay, maybe even a  bit more, and even further to some of the others.  Going South from here is about 1 and a half to 2 hours to the Border - so all in all Scottish Borders to say, Wick, would be about 6 hours - same as to get to Birmingham I believe  ;D  So local smallholders groups with reps meeting up say twice a year to exchange their geroups views and ideas should work, whereas it isn't neccessary in Englandshire. ;D

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 03:42:42 pm »
i have to agree with annie having moved up here, the map the weather man uses is a lie, it makes scotland look the size of london!!!

in reality its a big old place!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 05:25:31 pm »
and jam packed FULL of smallholders - not many of them to the pound in London!  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS