Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What does every one do with their eggs  (Read 16344 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: What does every one do with their eggs
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 09:04:12 pm »
  Our local shop has said they will only take eggs with the 'lion mark' which would mean being a registered producer   ??? so we sell at the gate £1.20 per half dozen with an honesty box.  Plenty of folk selling free range around here with some as low as £1 per half dozen.  I also sell at work to colleagues.  Any cracked or broken ones are put in the fridge, then scrambled for the ancient dogs  :dog:  and cats  :cat:  (or us)  :farmer: .

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 07:37:59 am »
How do you get on with the Honesty box - do you sell a lot? - are there thefts?

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 08:26:25 am »
when we get a glut of eggs I look for recipes that use loads of eggs - like carrot cake (9) quiche (5) meringues (to freeze) various flavoured cakes (to freeze) = when in UK I used to put them into eisenglass (?spelling) where they kept for months, picked eggs, freeze them - whites mixed with a little sugar and yolks mixed with a little salt.  Our problem at the moment is goose eggs - geese laying nearly everyday so with 7 geese thats a problem - incubator full with turkey eggs at the moment.  Egged out!!  Here in France in our hamlet everyone keeps chickens so impossible to sell any eggs as such.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 09:23:50 am »
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can't imagine eggs or an honesty box lasting more than about three minutes before being nicked.

Sandy

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:35 am »
When/If my hubby gets a non agency job he can start to sell them again, he used to work as an agency worker for Glasgow housing and there was a huge team who wanted eggs all the time, we used to sell them for £1 for 6 and as he cycled all over Glasgow, the eggs were wrapped up in his panniers on his bike, never broke any either, he currently works with elderly so dare not/would not sell to clients and the team he works with is too small, so we just keep them ourselves but not too many to worry about, I keep saying this but I do miss my ducks and the eggs!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 10:26:08 am »
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I can't imagine eggs or an honesty box lasting more than about three minutes before being nicked.
In Exmoor / Devon / Somerset, lots of places put their surpluses out on tables on the roadside, with a jam jar and a note saying what an appropriate donation would be.  I couldn't believe it when we first moved down there, but although I am sure there is the odd theft, it must work or people would stop doing it.

One dairy farm in Devon has a little shop run on an honesty basis; you can buy milk and all their dairy products there.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 04:36:17 pm »

When I lived in Surrey years ago a lady had eggs for sale and an honesty box at the end of her drive.

She started losing eggs and money, so her hubby bought a nice shed and put the eggs and honesty box in the shed with cctv camera on it.

A week later eggs, honesty box and the shed went walkies ::)
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »
Sister-in-law stopped selling eggs at her place in Devon. People just took the eggs and left no money. She sold the hens. We've only been short changed once. Someone took half a dozen market at £1.30 and left £1. Plenty of change in the jar so fortunately no-one has taken that.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 06:02:37 pm »
The pickle book says eat fairly quick....store less than three months. Mine dont usually last that long, appart from a jar that got forgotten. very vinegary but not off.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 06:20:09 pm »

A week later eggs, honesty box and the shed went walkies ::)
[/quote]

Clearly not funny, I'm trying not to laugh, though!  ;)

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2012, 09:42:10 pm »
I'm glad everyone seems quite honest round about us as our honesty box works. No thefts yet and its been there about two years. Its only friends and neighbours that buy them I think. :)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 07:54:08 pm »

We have a sealed piggy jar  :pig:and a note saying call at the house if you need change.  We only leave out 2 or 3 boxes at a time.  It is not on a road, but a footpath - maybe walkers are a more honest bunch?  But what bugs us is the regular customer (unidentified) who fills the jar with 1and 2p coins (aagh ???)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 08:34:15 pm »
when we get a glut of eggs I look for recipes that use loads of eggs - like carrot cake (9) quiche (5) meringues (to freeze) various flavoured cakes (to freeze) = when in UK I used to put them into eisenglass (?spelling) where they kept for months, picked eggs, freeze them - whites mixed with a little sugar and yolks mixed with a little salt.  Our problem at the moment is goose eggs - geese laying nearly everyday so with 7 geese thats a problem - incubator full with turkey eggs at the moment.  Egged out!!  Here in France in our hamlet everyone keeps chickens so impossible to sell any eggs as such.
We have the same problem where we live, surrounded by farms where they all have chooks of their own. I use mine as payment to my hairdresser. She has a dozen a week, or when I see her, and she does my hair and OH's too,  for free. I also make a pastryless quiche, as well as cakes, eggs for breakfast, and egg custards. I also give the odd half dozen to people who come to the house, like a certain delivery driver who often delivers parcels here. He is so lovely and helpful and happy, so I gave him some, the postman has had some and the man who comes to read our water meter. He has to move our huge upright freezer each time he comes so he deserves a reward!

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 06:46:45 pm »
All very interesting. I like the fact that by selling them their feed is paid for, it's so expensive keeping them all well fed. I used to hate giving them away, skinflint that I am!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 06:56:35 pm »
why give them away, Vicky? Surely folks happily contribute to the feed?  Maybe you can find someone to swap with at least? I have a friend who's hubby is a fisherman and we reguarlly exchange goods. Last year I swapped 3 boxes for a newly budded apple tree.  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS