Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What does every one do with their eggs  (Read 16341 times)

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
What does every one do with their eggs
« on: March 15, 2012, 05:03:42 pm »
Hi  :wave:
Egg numbers are probably rising for everyone and there are only so many you can eat/hatch/sell/give away at times.

I eat them boiled/fried/poached/eggy bread/omelet/egg fried rice/ pasta carbonara / meringues and the odd cake. The incubators busy also.

What does every one else do?
And anyone got any great recipes for using up eggs / or other innovative ideas for using them?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: What does every one do with their eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:10:30 pm »
Sell is our first priority. Then use, then give away and then scramble and feed to hens. Need to limit the amount as there is too much protein in them. We have had a lot of omlettes recently as the canal tourist traffic alongside us has been low, but its picking up now. Sold two dozen and didn't even have the signs up!

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 05:13:02 pm »
Also when selling what does every one sell for we do £3 a doz and reckon it does no good to under sell especially with food price now adays

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 05:19:22 pm »
I sell mine as well at £3.00 per dozen.

LulaB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 05:26:33 pm »
Sell.

I I don't sell, I make brioche and then sell that!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 05:39:28 pm »
Sell 'em at work.
I sell for £2.50 a dozen hens and £3 a dozen ducks.

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 05:45:23 pm »
We used to sell loads but my husband has a different job now, if we end up with too many I will do what I did last year, freeze them, all you do is crack them and mix them and put them in a plastic box in the freezer, a good idea to put how many so you can whip them out for cooking, no probs and handy instead of buying them in the winter!!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:53:40 pm »
I sell mine at £2-40p a dozen, duck eggs at £3 a dozen. It doesn't make me a fortune but it means I can give eggs to family and have ours for free (well at this time of year anyway ::)) Though I'm thinking now that it wouldn't harm family to put, say, 50p in the egg money tin or buy a bag of layers pellets now and again :-\ This would feed the hens when not laying.
Otherwise I like a poached egg now and again or a quiche but I'm not a great egg lover, I prefer to eat the cockerels :yum:

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 06:50:34 pm »
We had a huge glut of eggs last year so I made them into yorkshire pudding and fed them back to the hens  :chook:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:02 pm »
 Sell for hatching, sell for eating, use them ourselves and finally we boil the excess up about once a week and feed them to the pigs. And before anyone shouts up yes I'm well aware of the rules relating to feeding pigs.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:20:14 pm »
Selling for £1.38 (to the village shop who sell them on for £1.60) for 6. Ducks eggs, which are now retreiveable, long may it last, I'm selling to shop for £1.75, they're selling for £2 for 6. Can't imagine feeding them back to the poultry or other beasts, it seems a terrible waste. Love the brioche idea, must try it! When my little girls bake I get really cross if eggs get wasted due to them not following a recipe, as that's money I could be earning, even though the ruined mixture will get eaten by either chooks or dogs. Can't bear waste.

Sometimes the shop has some left over, mostly they can't get enough of our eggs. Had an SOS yesterday asking for more as a lady had reserved 6 and they'd run out. I love that people are now demanding my free range eggs, and choosing them over the commercial ones. I was thinking of selling my 10 new chookies, but now I don't think I will as they'll pay for themselves very quickly. Clever girls!  :thumbsup:

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 07:21:17 pm »
How many are you producing, Big Light? How are you selling them?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 07:29:55 pm »
Sell at £3 a dozen :thumbsup:

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 07:48:16 pm »
We sell at £2-00 per dozen and £2-60 per dozen for duck eggs. There's loads of eggs being sold at the gate round here so anymore than that we'd not sell any. Most of our customers are at work.

We eat them, bake with them, make tortilla, quiche etc etc

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 08:02:55 pm »
We sell to friends and colleagues at £1.50 for six, but I'm starting do doubt that we're even going to break even this year  :-\.

It's definitely worthwhile keeping an eye on supermarket egg prices over the next few months though. The EU ban on battery eggs has severely reduced imported supplies, and is thus forcing up prices. (More info in this report from the BBC).

I have to say, the shocking thing for me was seeing just how cramped the NEW style 'colony' cages still are. Yes, better than battery farming, but it must be said, only just  >:(.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS