Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Local poultry abbatoirs?  (Read 6623 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Local poultry abbatoirs?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »
If you are in Somerset any time, drop by and I can get you one of those barrels for a fiver ;D

Do you have many? I could do with a couple as water barrells in the veg patch and am finding them hard to get a hold of.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 02:41:02 pm »
Yeah Robert water and electricity don't mix, I've introduced you to the washing machine, dishwasher, kettle and still you have not bother your arse to see how they work, oh sorry i made you switch the kettle on for me when i was working slicing and dicing the pig, it would be nice to hear you say I WILL PUT THE DIRTY DISHES IN THE DISHWASHER huh fat chance of that you don't even know where the f---ing handle is. ??? >:( :o

yeah robert!!! ;) ;D

LeJambon

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 06:44:08 pm »
Thanks everyone for your comments, colliewoman - I have checked out Kimbers Farm shop, I will give them a call and find out. I have also found a place in somerset but its an hour and a half. I need to speak to them anyway as they may know someone else.

I am based near Westbury, right on the border of Wiltshire and somerset. Wootton bassett is probably an hour away, do you have any details for the person over there?

I expect you are right when you say all the small scale guys have given up, looking at old forum entries on other sites there are a few listed but they don't exist anymore. I am not keen on spending £400 on a plucking machine, there goes the profit and I would rather have them done by a pro. I don't mind drawing them etc. once plucked but hand plucking 30 might just kill me off!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 08:13:20 pm »
i have an industrial plucker on a stand havent used it yet  but why bother i now either  just cut the good bits off or skin them no plucking..... i know the skin is nice but it depends s on how you want to cook them  if you want a raost then pluck a couple if not skin them...it takes 2 mins

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 10:08:02 pm »
If you are in Somerset any time, drop by and I can get you one of those barrels for a fiver ;D

Do you have many? I could do with a couple as water barrells in the veg patch and am finding them hard to get a hold of.

They aren't mine, but a fella up the road sells them. He's usually got loads!
Pop by sometime and we'll go get some :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 06:43:42 am »
We've got several lying around here but they belong to the builders. I asked the foreman if he could get hold of one for me and he gave me one of his  :D :love:

There's a reason for giving them all that tea and cake (probably more than a fiver's worth!)

They are very useful bits of kit.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 01:56:18 pm »
If the Sherborne area isn't too far for your to travel, it might be worth trying Charlie Goodlan at C&S Meats / Holnest.

They are a small family run, good animal welfare slaughter house.  Charlie is a lovely chap, I don't know if they deal with geese but it would be certainly worth asking.

xx
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS