Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! Lame Hen  (Read 3537 times)

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
Help! Lame Hen
« on: April 02, 2009, 07:09:37 am »
Please could anyone give me some advise.  One of my Black Rocks is lame, I have no idea how, she is hopping around on one leg and keeping well away from the rest of the group - they seem to peck at her if she is around them.  What should I do? 
Thanks in advance.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Help! Lame Hen
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 04:34:14 pm »
I see a lot of people have looked at this but none have responded. My first reaction would be to pick her up and examine the leg to see what might be wrong with it.  It might be a thorn in her foot - simple things can be sorted quickly and easily.  If not, the vet is the next stop.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wellieboots

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:36:20 pm »
Gotta agree with Doganjo, check her lame leg/foot for any thorn/skelf/splinter etc. Have a very good look as it can be hard to find a thorn in a chooks foot due to the colouring etc so really get "CSI" on her foot! Also check for any raised areas/scales as this could be Bumblefoot.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:15:53 pm »
Please could anyone give me some advise.  One of my Black Rocks is lame, I have no idea how, she is hopping around on one leg and keeping well away from the rest of the group - they seem to peck at her if she is around them.  What should I do? 
Thanks in advance.

We have the exact situation with one of our geese,
we have seperated her and her partner from the rest of them,

I too, am interested in all replies and advice on this one.
Pigtails

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:11:52 pm »
Have no idea what happened to my hen - she didn't last. When I came home from work she had deteriorated drastically.  Our neighbours dogs had been in at the weekend and I am wondering if either they got her and injured her internally and her leg then or have been back in when I was at work.  I will never know.  Had a down day today though having lost her.  The rest of my flock look healthy and happy and will be looking forward to their usual Saturday treat of sardines tomorrow!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:23:58 pm »
Oh, shame, Lu. Have sardines in remembrance of her.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 10:26:31 am »
Sorry you lost your hen, our goose is recovering slowly,
we can only assume, she has twisted her foot, or leg, perhaps got it stuck between stones.

Where we thought she may not make it, she has surprised us with her dogged determination.
 :) :)
Pigtails

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS