Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pregnant GG won't eat more  (Read 11433 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: pregnant GG won't eat more
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »
Sorry you are ill, perhaps getting chilled during the waiting phase brought it on.

No the girls brought it home from school....

For the first few days I feed about 5 - 6 times a day (freshly milked out from mum straight into the bottle), but only did one night (2.30am) feed last night and think she will go through the night tonight. It will go down to about 4 feeds a day fairly soon, I am not too methodical about it in the first few weeks, more see how much they drink, write it down and if it seems low by mid.afternoon I put in another feed in-between. It will settle down fairly soon. Right now they are together with mum, after disbudding probably on Tuesday they will be in a separate area in the same pen. In the first few days I just let them drink as much as they want, it's usually anything between 50 and 150ml at a time, they will tell you when they are full.

Bottle washing..... takes about three times as long as the actual feeding (but I do not sterilise mine, just really hot water and washing up liquid)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS