Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pregnant GG won't eat more  (Read 11432 times)

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
pregnant GG won't eat more
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:45:29 am »
My GG has 5 weeks to go.  I have been feeding her 300g of good mix dusted with Brinicombes minerals and split into 2 feeds a day, and she has always cleared this with enthusiasm.

This week I have tried to add another feed - initially about 80g - midday but she won't eat more than a few mouthfuls.  I tried increasing her morning/evening ration but she eats the original amount and leaves the rest.  She is keen to eat, bright, looks healthy and is begining to make an udder - just not interested in more hard feed. 

She will eagerly take bramble cuttings/apple branches in the outside forage rack and loves her small mix of banana/apple/turnip/broccoli as a treat each morning.   

Should I worry?  Will she eat more as she gets closer to kidding?  I don't know how many she is expecting as I was unable to get the scanning man to come for one goat - too busy with sheep - but she is clearly in kid (which my goatling is not!).  Her condition is good and I am monitoring her carefully but don't want to risk a problem due to lack of intake.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: pregnant GG won't eat more
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:04:48 am »
I am not a great believer in feeding my goats (pregnant or not) a great amount of hard feed ... and my lot have never given me any cause for worry when kidding.  Many years ago, I tried to increase the feed for an in kid female, and ended up getting a lecture from my vet, because she went all wonky, and the vet said she should have more hay, not hard feed .....I have not forgotten this!!!

It sounds like your female is getting enough food with what you are giving her already, so I would not worry. 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:31:16 am »
It seems to me they'll eat what they'll eat and nothing you can do will change that! One of mine will wolf hard food, the other picks at it and prefers hay.

I have had success feeding mine ReadiGrass (JustGrass is the same sort of stuff) which is freeze-dried grass - they both love this.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 03:42:03 pm »
Forgot to mention she is getting non-stop good hay and a couple of chunks of Readigrass, which she loves - and I have to say, it smells delicious!  My bantams love it, too.

Anyway, thanks for words of wisdom - now, just been brushing her so this is instant update, her udder is quite large.  When she was in milk it was this big but is it okay so soon before kidding?  She seemed tetchy when I gently felt it but it didn't feel hard or mastitis-like, just firm.  Is this normal?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 05:40:25 pm »
IMO 300g of concentrate per day is not enough for a GG in kid with 5 weeks to go, but you will have to go with what she eats. Try and include a lot more of veg/fruit - also I already have a good selection of weeds (which mine love - docks, dandelion, ivy of course). Mine (due this weekend) was slowing down a bit, but I have given her some provit dressing on her sugarbeet (also very good for energy for both sheep and goats), and her appetite has improved.
She also loves Readigrass, is currently off oats and mix, but will eat diary nuts and shreds (but not mixed together...). Last week she didn't the dairy nuts (and I don't like giving too much of them as they are 18% protein a but too high I think)....

During the last few weeks goats will not manage to get all their energy needs from hay and a little concentrate, she will need supplementing, especially if she is carrying twins.

You will only really have to worry when she stops eating her concentrates all together or just picks at them and looks in general not be well. I have a bottle of Propylene Glycol (from the vets) ready to drench if necessary, and I do that even before I call for a vet if she stops eating - it doesn't do any harm and will help saving the goat. Same for Calciject - signs of hypocalceamia are her looking quite stiff and having trouble getting up. I had both of them last year...

Re udder - my 2nd kidder GG has had a huge, but soft udder since about 5 weeks before, she was milked until beginning of December then dried off.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:01:14 pm »
I have just been through this with my Tog who kidded 10 days ago. She just WOULD not eat loads of concentrate but would eat bananas, carrots and bread and lots of hay. Now she has kidded she will eat concentrate again and I'm gradually building up the amount. As has been said, providing she's eating something and looking ok then she's probbaly fine. Just keep a very close eye.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:55:59 am »
Really useful replies, thank you.  Since I tried increasing her concentrates she is actually eating less...  May be that she has 'gone off' the mix - I'll get some dairy nuts and see if they appeal.  She gets a daily helping of  cut branches, fruit, veg etc and still eats with enthusiasm so I know she's not off food altogether.

I have propylene glycol on hand and am off to get Calciject for 'just in case'.  Today her udder seems uneven, one side quite a lot larger than the other but still not over-firm or hot.  Monitoring frequently!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 02:16:06 pm »
My Togg is due Sunday. She' gradually eating less of her feed and huffin, puffin and generally moaning to herself. She still eats about 2/3 of her ration (2.lbs twice daily) and will tuck into the greener stuff (veg/willow/hay)
Udder - getting larger but still soft and even.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

salopman

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 08:12:42 pm »
sooooooooooooooo xcited - may I be one of the first to see?????

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 08:32:26 pm »
My Togg is due Sunday.  huffin, puffin to herself.
:D  haha! :goat:
Puffin the huffin and puffin goat!

My girl seems to go off her extra rations at weaning the kids - to the point that she looks thin. But just won't increase her intake. It seems to settle out, but right now she looks on the skinny side :/
Just glad there is more weedy stuff about and her favourite willow trees will soon be in leaf :thumbsup:
Little Blue

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:59 pm »
My Togg is due Sunday. She' gradually eating less of her feed and huffin, puffin and generally moaning to herself. She still eats about 2/3 of her ration (2.lbs twice daily) and will tuck into the greener stuff (veg/willow/hay)

My GG due on Sunday too - just about staggering through the field....and lots of quiet moaning to herself . as in I am really fed up. (and so am I - late night checks for a few days now...).

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:02:18 pm »
sooooooooooooooo xcited - may I be one of the first to see?????
Of course!!

My GG due on Sunday too - just about staggering through the field....and lots of quiet moaning to herself . as in I am really fed up. (and so am I - late night checks for a few days now...).
Just been out and we have a little bit of clear discharge (not much but its noticeable) and we have 'staring eyes' - you know what I mean, the staring bloodshot type and I'm not sure if its due to torchlight or if we've started (my breeder friend invited me over to see 2 of hers in the early stages of labour and pointed out this stary eye business   :o   ) so yes, I'll be up most of tonight too - great! woodlice, slugs, spiders everywhere...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »
Hope all goes well  :thumbsup:

Still six weeks to go for me, Ellie and Rowan  :goat:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 09:22:12 pm »
Just been out and we have a little bit of clear discharge (not much but its noticeable) and we have 'staring eyes' - you know what I mean, the staring bloodshot type and I'm not sure if its due to torchlight or if we've started (my breeder friend invited me over to see 2 of hers in the early stages of labour and pointed out this stary eye business   :o   ) so yes, I'll be up most of tonight too - great! woodlice, slugs, spiders everywhere...

I would definitely kep checking her for a bit, discharge could mean she is starting... or maybe not. You don't know. Have you got a radio to take out with you?

Better go and check mine too...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 09:41:19 pm »
Good luck PE - I've found the more I know the earlier I see the signs which probably doesn't help my sleep pattern but I'd rather be there than not - hope you have a nice warm fleece for the hopefully not too long wait  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS