Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 7 week old Pedigree Welsh piglet  (Read 3108 times)

Ty Siriol

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Ty Siriol - Home grown food at it's best...
7 week old Pedigree Welsh piglet
« on: March 10, 2012, 01:07:04 pm »
Hi, Wondering if anyone could advise us please. We've been keeping pigs for over a year now but haven't come across this problem before.

We have a 7 week old pedigree welsh weaner, who isn't thriving as much as his 2 brothers. He is eating and drinking normally and will root around with the other two. We've only had these 3 piglets a short time and there is a distinct 'gap' between them, the others are really healthy and playful and growing really well. This little one is scouring and he wanders around a circles a lot, as though he is chasing his tail? he also shivers quite a bit. I'm considering buying a small dog's coat to try to keep him warm and maybe this will help to get a layer of fat on him like his brothers.

Any thoughts?

Confused from Ty Siriol :/

:pig:
Suzy Williams 01792 882676
Ty Siriol - Home grown food at it's best...

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: 7 week old Pedigree Welsh piglet
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:48 pm »
Is he getting his fair share of the grub or being pushed out? You may try feeding him separately :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »
what colour is the scour    does it look like he has dry hair       has he been inoculated for anything :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 04:20:30 pm »
You don't say exactly how long you've had them but at 7 weeks most of mine are still with mum :-\
Maybe this wee guy's the runt and would have benefitted from longer with mum (how long had they been weaned before you got them ?) or maybe it's a reaction to a change in foodstuff ? The wandering in circles and shivering would concern me though - I'd check his temp asap.
Karen  :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 11:21:24 am »
Sorry to be brusque but i will lay money on these piglets not having been weaned properley and that when they were collected they were literally ripped off their mothers teats and thrown into the deep end of surivng for themselves, as HH says most people wean at 7 or 8 wks and then they have a week on their own before going to new homes. As Robert says check if they were wormed before getting them (money says not!!) and if they weren't i'd jab them all with eihter Noramectin or Dectomax (ask your vet for individual jabs 0.75ml is enough each), He may also just be the runt and his brothers are stonger make sure he's not getting bullied at breakfast & t-time and feed separately if you can  (with 3 its easy to do 3 sperate bowls we use washing up bowls for weaners) Scouring may just be the change in food water and stress but can be a sign of enzootic pneumonia if its grey/green in colour in which case antibiotics from vet. If you have read all the books you should NEVER take piglets younger than 7wks if they have not been first weaned correctly i.e living seperately from mum (some are weaned earlier eg commercial breeds and maybe when a so can't cope with a large litter)
Lesson learned for next time.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

Ty Siriol

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Ty Siriol - Home grown food at it's best...
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 01:03:51 pm »
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the advise, really appreciate it.
The piglets have had all the jabs & wormed etc as bought from a very reputable breeder that conforms to quite a number of standards. I've been told and read that the Pedigree welsh are very similar to a commercial breed where weaning can take place earlier. As I mentioned the other 2 are doing really well, I think this little guy may be the runt. Yesterday I bought a dog jumper and put it on him over night and have fed him seperately (added water to make a mash for him) a few times throughout yesterday and today. I'm really pleased to report that he has stopped scouring and doesn't shiver anymore and has stopped going round in circles, phew! We'll continue keeping a close eye on him and feeding him separately etc until he's caught up. Thanks for your help guys. :)

In response to the Q's:
Jabs and worming, yes
He looked like he was having fair share, as we feed ad lib and there is enough room for all to feed at once. Water is on auto feeders too.
We've had them for a week
Yes, dry hair
The scour was light brown but today we have firm poos that are darker brown.

Hope that's everything. Thanks again for your help.

Suzy @ Ty Siriol  :pig:
Suzy Williams 01792 882676
Ty Siriol - Home grown food at it's best...

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:32:53 am »
Good to hear Suzy that your little chap is turning the corner and that all has been done correctly by the breeder, just the 7wks thing sets alarm bells ringing and have seen the scenario i wrote above many times!! ::)
Hope he continues to thrive.
All the best Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS