Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sow not feeding pigglets  (Read 3636 times)

happytrotters

• Joined Mar 2012
sow not feeding pigglets
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:32:58 pm »
hi i have had  3 sows farrow in the past 4 days 2 of the litters are doing very well but one mum doesn;t seem very interested in feeding them at all we are starting to get worried .. would we be able to introduce this pigglets to the other sows or should we hand rear !  ???

robert waddell

Re: sow not feeding pigglets
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:51:56 pm »
there must be an underling problem with her     are the hungry is she lying on her teats stopping them from suckling how many piglets has she got and how many have the other two got :farmer:

happytrotters

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 04:57:45 pm »
she is laying on her teats she had 6 but we lost 1 the other 2 sows have 6 and 8 pigglets !! they are all first time mums

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 05:07:46 pm »
she does not like the idea of being a mum look on the bright side they could all have been like that   next time she will be alright if not get rid :farmer:

happytrotters

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 05:12:33 pm »
the other 2 are being brilliant mums .. so do i try and introduce her pigglets to them .. leave her for a little while longer and hope for the best or hand rear ( really not my prefered option after doing it once with an orphan foal ) !!

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:21:37 pm »
I'd persevere with her a bit longer before trying to foster or hand rear the piglets (each of these have their own risks)

As Robert says, the problem is with your sow, but it's not really her 'fault'.
Is she eating and drinking & pooing normally ?
Do her teats feel hot & hard or look red and painful? Could be mastitis - check her temp  ;) If it's up an antibiotic will help clear it up - leave the piglets with her as them draining the udder will help.
You can (if you want to) use ordinary human nipple cream for breastfeeding on her teats to make her more comfortable - piglets teeth are sharp and if it's her first litter she'll be sore  :(

I'd check all of that to rule out any possible problems - infections post farrowing are quite common.
If she gets the all clear then give her a beer or 2 - pour it into her empty water bowl, she'll drink it  ;) (ideally sweetheart stout, they used to give this to new mum's in hospitals to help with milk production  ;D but anything will do at a push) this will chill her out, help her to relax and allow the piglets to feed. You might need to help them find teats and stay close to supervise things but once they start feeding and the skin toughens up she should be fine in a couple of days (you might need to repeat the beer again)
It could just be she's not a very maternal mother, but I'd give her another go anyway - I know how useless I was with my first, it takes first time mums time to learn sometimes  :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen  :wave:

happytrotters

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 10:04:21 pm »
thanks she does seem to be getting better has actually lied down and allowed them to suckle .. the beer tip is an unusal plan .. but will giv it a go as my girls are feed on whey and the pulp from the micro brewery .. plus a few sow nuts .. think i maybe able to get some beer .. maybe my mums are too laid back .. doesn't help me though

happytrotters

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 10:07:06 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:08:33 am »
my girls are feed on whey and the pulp from the micro brewery .. plus a few sow nuts

Don't forget they will need a full ration of nuts when feeding young or they will get dragged down condition wise. Hope your gilt has improved and migth be worth staggering your littters a bit next time so they're all not so close together and you can then give them all a bit more individual attention. You'll certainly goging to have your hands full over the next few days.
All the best Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS