Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs Dirty Bums  (Read 26941 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Lambs Dirty Bums
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 01:05:50 pm »
How soon do you go in an clean sticky bum?

I keep an eye on the lambs, I check their bums and tails to make sure they are clean of any poo and if any is attached I remove it straight away whilst it's still soft. When you see them feed they give their tails a wag - if you are close enough you will be able to see any 'stuck' orange poop.

:sheep:

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 05:51:24 pm »

Hi Norfolk Newbies  :wave:
We have quite a number of Longwools lambing ,and I don`t routinely ""clean bums!" :D,  I just keep an eye on the  lambs and make sure that the little lambs bottoms don`t get restricted so they can`t actually poo!
The sticky first poo does look a bit unsightly, but as long as it isn`t causing the lamb any problem will come off the wool in a short time by its self :thumbsup:

-- good luck with your lambing and let us know how you are getting on......
Tilly

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 10:10:54 am »
Thanks for the advice.
 1 month to go and I have phone numbers for 3 locals I can call on in emergency and I am starting to get my 'kit' prepared. (Not nervous AT ALL...gulp). Reading VSS book and this site daily, which is making me feel slightly less apprehensive, and more worried, both at the same time. :-)
 I will let you know how I get on.
Jo

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 08:52:25 pm »
We only have a few bottle fed lambs each year and so i take my labrador bitch in with me when we feed, she dutifully goes round and cleans all the bums while we feed  :thumbsup: sorted.
So many ideas, not enough hours

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS