Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs on time.  (Read 1895 times)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Lambs on time.
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:23:15 pm »
One wiltshire and one cross bred ewe have lambed last night. One lamb to each mum. One problem though. The big old cross bred ewe has adopted both lambs as her own and the wilts is not at all interested in hers. The problem comes in that we are not sure whose lamb is whose. They both lambed in the middle of the night and by the time we got to them this morning, the adoption had taken place. So one lamb is pure bred Wilts and needs to be registered and the other lamb is half Wilts and therefore not going to be registered. I have a sneaking suspicion that the ram lamb is the pure bred and the ewe lamb isn't. Oh well, compared to some these are trivial problems and I am eternally grateful that the dreaded Schmallenburg isn't in my little flock.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Lambs on time.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:30:05 pm »
You have till the autumn in which they were born to register with the Wilts Horn Breed soc, and it should be fairly obvious by then which is which, although, I don't bother registering any/paying the fee if they don't make the grade to be sold as breeding ewes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS