Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs later than we expected! Advice please.  (Read 3698 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Lambs later than we expected! Advice please.
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:58 pm »
Well my Ryelands are either two days overdue or due and still no sign, they've 'bagged up', swollen up ( you know where ) and one of my Gotlands was even lying there licking her lips and curling her lip.
Still no lambs. In the past I've given advice on here when others have asked about when their lambs are due, now mine are messing me about, trouble is I don't want to miss any births as I don't want to lose any lambs this year. Does make you wonder why we put ourselves through it.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: Lambs later than we expected! Advice please.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 10:44:52 pm »
Don't worry they will come when ready. If your girls have lambed before then two days is neither here nor there. Better to be a couple of days late than early.I am sure things will be fine, and if your girls are not actually showing signs of labour then let them be.
Its hard waiting but when they all pop and your flying around like a mad thing you will wish the lambs were back inside their tummies!! If none of them look in distress i wouldn't worry
Good luck  :wave:

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:48:40 pm »
Are these experienced ewes or first timers? what days gestation are you working to? my lot were all over the place, working to 147 days gestation some went to 149 days others to 143....it's a lottery!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:49:03 pm »
I would not worry. My Ryelands are never on time, normal seems to be 2+days overdue. If they are bagged up things are going the right way. I've had them in the past where you are sure something is going on and they act as if things are normal.

Have you got them in for lambing as it makes things a lot easier and they are easy lambers (normally) had two breach last year. I'm afraid you have just got to let nature take it's course.
 How many have you got? 

Waiting in anticipation :thumbsup:
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:55:50 pm »
Hee hee - I'd rather have your problem than ours :-)
Good luck!
P

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:52:49 am »
Are these experienced ewes or first timers? what days gestation are you working to? my lot were all over the place, working to 147 days gestation some went to 149 days others to 143....it's a lottery!
I work on 147 days last year '419' was early and yep they are experienced ewes - experienced at losing them for one reason or another. I finish up going to a friend with a commercial flock for spare lambs which mine accept no trouble but apart from losing my purebreds it's embarrasing having to go and say "it's happened again". Even though I watch as closely as I can.
Update
One born this PM had to help pull it out as legs weren't quite straight, also had to help get it breathing so good job I was there. This one is two days early, still no sign of the due or overdue ones, perhaps tomorrow ?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:38:51 pm by moleskins »
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS