Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what ya doing this weekend?  (Read 31701 times)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
Re: what ya doing this weekend?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 06:48:13 pm »
just got my T-belt light come up on the dash of the MK3 hilux! so looks like it might be work on the pickup rather than work on the land!  >:( spoilt a great day!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 07:00:29 pm »
i will be burning laurel, lots and lots of laurel, damned stuff and ive only trimmed 2/3s of the hedges. all the other hedges have at least some use, pea sticks, compost materials or kindling, laurel you cant use for anything, you cant even have a good bonfire with it because the smoke in quantity is supposed to be toxic.ah well nearly there now, half a day with the chainsaw and the rest spent burning it.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 07:43:36 pm »
i will be burning laurel, lots and lots of laurel, damned stuff and ive only trimmed 2/3s of the hedges. all the other hedges have at least some use, pea sticks, compost materials or kindling, laurel you cant use for anything, you cant even have a good bonfire with it because the smoke in quantity is supposed to be toxic.ah well nearly there now, half a day with the chainsaw and the rest spent burning it.

are you going to dig up the roots? i needed an excavator to take one out a couple of years ago. what a tangle.
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 08:07:17 pm »
when i got here it was 30ft tall, i cut it down to 6ft last year, it grew 3ft in the year and ive got it down to 4 ft and bare now. the trunks are nearly a foot thick at its base and ive got about 30m of it. last years good stuff kept the house warm for 2months in the woodburner :thumbsup:

. if i can get it under control it will be a nice hedge, lucky that cos its past digging up!

Rosieb

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2012, 08:18:14 pm »
I'll be up with the larks - for a change - and get my usual feeding, mucking out, turning out done, I have a couple of spare lambs to feed (although it's Saturday so can rope one of my kids in to doing that) have a wonder down with dogs to check on ewe's with lambs.
I'm finally getting my field shelter put up at 10am, it's only been sitting since October, bit of a backward way round - field shelter going up at the start of spring instead of when it should have gone up start of winter!  Anyway I won't complain it will be up that's the main thing  ;D

I have a saddler coming in the afternoon to fit my horse with some new tack, can't wait for that he's going to look so posh.

Clean out 2 trailers I used today and deliver a load of straw

Somewhere in between I need to fit in washing, cleaning and shopping!
It just never ever ends  ::)

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 09:42:06 pm »
Depends on the weather - they say it's going to rain on Saturday so if it does - OH is going to start the piggies house and I'm detailed to paint two windows (in the old lounge - it's waiting to be renovated so it's like a shed indoors...)
If it's sunny... theres more fencing to do and more hedges to lay (well there big Ash trees so thining them out and laying over some of them. Then theres the usual chores such as cleaning the hens out and the sheep shed and one of the ewes is limping so need to catch her and sort her feet out plus she needs her bum dagged ( been on some new grass for a couple of days) 

And I suppose I ought to clean the house :P ;D but thats only if I've time....
You are never to old to learn something new

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 10:19:57 pm »
I'll be doing housewifery, then furtling around to decide optimum mousetrap placement  >:(

And then chucking out a load of cardboard, and THEN peering at seeds to see if I can sow anything yet (got some spuds chitting).

And then a nice long walk along the river to the pet shop for dog food (though having said that it'll defrost on the way home. Umph.)

You guys make me feel lazy!  :dunce:

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 10:50:31 pm »
I bought a white board on Tuesday to stick in the tool shed and make lists of the jobs to do on. I think I might have to go back for another as its chock full already.

Today we managed to get electric fence and creep feeder set up for the piglets, another wall and the floor for the composting loo done and I built myself a saw horse as we're running out of pre-prepared logs.

Main jobs for our Saturday workday are planting broad beans, peas, beetroot and parsnip along with building a greenhouse. The composting toilet needs a bit more work - windows fitting and the actual 'throne' building and if I don't make some progress on keeping the bloomin' chickens in their runs then my long suffering wife will be very disappointed.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 07:00:17 am »
Hopefully planting my willow plantation. I have got 50 Viminalis in last month and now have 100 basket weaving coloureds to put in. Luckily the moon's in a waxing phase this week so I even get the biodynamics right. Then I've got to empty the van of wood and go and pick up this year's supply of compost. Clean out the chickens. Water the polytunnel. There was something else  - oh yes - mulch the apple trees but i want to make them look all posh so I've got to take up the turf.

It's now 7am and raining. When to start  :( :(
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 07:49:49 am »
Daily jobs done and another dry and lovely day.
I like the idea of having a board to list "Jobs to do" but it would be pretty big.

Plan so far is to repair a stone wall across the road in a garden we have never used. It is south facing and the sun has already brought the lizards out - I hope that the snakes I saw over there last year have not woken up too.

Another coffee first !.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 08:46:00 am »
if my head stops banging then I've got some trees to get down, really need to get that done before the birds start nesting (would've got it done already, but I was clumsy and broke my chainsaw, the spare took ages to arrive then I had to buy a tool to help fit it). Depending on how that goes, so beer brewing or similar this afternoon I think.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2012, 09:52:05 am »

Plan so far is to repair a stone wall across the road in a garden we have never used. It is south facing and the sun has already brought the lizards out - I hope that the snakes I saw over there last year have not woken up too
Hi MAK what snakes have you got over there? Sorry to say if the lizards are out there is a high chance the snakes are to specially on warm sunny days. The first Adder of the year has been seen here on the isle of Mull already sunning its self. It's probably hiding today it's bloody freezing.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2012, 10:12:06 am »
I used to like writing my 'to do's on post-it notes and sticking them on a board.  It's somehow more satisfying to tear off the little sticky note and rip it into shreds!

Today I'm picking up my half a pig from the butcher.  He was impressed with it (in fact his staff had mistaken it for one he'd bought for the shop and were about to start cutting it up before he spotted what they were doing!) and says if I can get them larger and as lean, he'll buy some off me.  I'm very pleased - but of course that's the tricky bit, getting them bigger but not fatter.  Still, at least I know I'm on the right track!

If the weather holds off we'll be vaccinating and fluking the shearlings who are due to lamb in a couple of weeks and then the remainder of the flock; we did a couple of batches yesterday.  We've still one cow we're waiting to calve, and she's so over her time now, and the last calf to this bull was a big 'un, so we might have a job on our hands.

And there's a ewe prolapsed again, so we'll get the vet to her.  (BH's car is in dock or we'd take her to the vet.)

I'd like to think I'll get the pigs' new pen started, but somehow I think that might not happen just yet...

As Baz says, what's a weekend?  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 11:13:37 am »
What am I doing this week?  Well right this minute I am procrastinating! ;D  What is in store other than taking the dogs for a run, is the printing, envelope stuffing, stamping and posting the second half of a mailing to our 500 club members for our AGM and working tests.  Despite a cold and laryngitis I didn't hang about this morning - chicken run hosed down, hens fed and eggs collected, duck pen same, and eggs collected, dogs exercised and fed, emails answered, dishwasher emptied and refilled.  Gosh I'm tired now - time for a wee nap?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 04:01:52 pm »
raspberries in new bed, muck moved, ash trees planted, moved wood chips and back home in time for rice, chicken wings and home made falafal. oh yeah and the truck just had a warning light which i have now reset! oh yes top day!  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS