Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what ya doing this weekend?  (Read 31691 times)

deepinthewoods

Re: what ya doing this weekend?
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2012, 04:20:05 pm »
beautiful kernow day! had first encounter with dawdling emmets, got polytunnel up, now potting up can begin in earnest.

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2012, 04:30:05 pm »
Picked up weaners  :pig: :pig:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2012, 06:35:54 pm »
Made another duck house for 5 Muscovies that we pick up in the morning.
Bought a chain saw so I can harvest wood and am about to cook mussels in a tomato/wine/garlic and hint of chili sauce with Spaghetti.
I may even have a beer as I cook.

Life is beautiful.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2012, 06:41:23 pm »
Got ewes ready for lambing
Retrieved old raised bed frame from obscurity for the strawberries
Had lunch outside  ;D ;D :love:
Turned compost
Cleaned out chickens ands sorted out roost which has been bugging me for ages
Tidying up stuff and walking around house looking at the lovely roofing slate and recessed gutters
Had a go with my new stail engine
Sold mower trailer to a pal and looked around her new allotment
Er...... that's it :-)

What a nice day.

Tomorrow we are sorting out the pig ark and pig pen for weaner reception next weekend - two little Tamworth boys :pig: :love:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:52:29 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2012, 07:24:59 pm »
wow, got so carried away forgot to post today!  :D got grass clippings on the hugulkultur and a skin of wood chips, then cut 4 new beds and then cut half a tonne of horse sh#t into them with the rotovator. oh and after lunch got all the tomatoes potted on to bigger pots. tomorrow i am going to show my old Dad Ronzie around his land and show him what we have been doing over the last 5 months when it was too cold for him to come out!

all in all one of the best days on the site since we started 4 years ago! tip top!!  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2012, 02:03:01 pm »
Inseminating my sow!   :thumbsup:  I am sooooo happy !!  :love: :pig:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2012, 05:24:06 pm »
Nearly finished pig pen for Berkshires - biggest problem was re-assembling the arc!  They should be able to go out tomorrow and the GOS in a few days.  Richard

robert waddell

« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2012, 05:40:27 pm »
sally was your sow equally as happy ;) :farmer:

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2012, 07:45:52 pm »
Enjoyed the sun , Fixed 4 old hen Houses and set up breeding pens , meanwhile hebridean ewe dropped first lamb of the season.

All in all a very productive day :thumbsup:

Mel

« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2012, 08:36:22 pm »
 :wave: Saturday,Finished potting in the poly tunnel,started work on one of the greenhouses! almost finished landscaping the area around our pond,re-potting shrubs and such.moved some garden furniture around and done some general tidying up behind one of the sheds.Amazing what was lurking behind there! :o

Today,cleaned the chicken coops out,sprayed with Virkon as always and made the girls happy,three gone broody already ::) Found some more seeds to plant from last year but my tomatoes have disappeared :-\ ,tidied up the hard standing and jetwashed everything in sight..including Chris  :thumbsup: ;D ;D have come in absolutely worn out...mega dinner tonight..beans on toast with cheese topping! Quick and yummmmm :yum:

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2012, 08:59:59 am »
the whole weekend was taken up with cooking for a massive buffet we did for friends. it was a 70th birthday party and it went really well! did manage to get some stuff sorted and some peas planted out on saturday but not much! next weekend should be better for the land as we only have a friend staying who has come from australia and she is keen to get a spade in her hands!  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2012, 09:31:03 am »
We had some permanent post fencing put in for our goat paddocks and a proper gate! I'm so excited - no more standing outside when its blowing a hoolie and holding those silly plastic tape poles in the ground to stop the goats escaping - yay!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2012, 10:16:07 am »
Moved two years worth of compost heap to polytunnel and veg garden, OH hired a mini digger so finally got the bog hole gateways to pig paddocks cleaned out and re-laid with hardcore and topsoil over top.
Rotivated pig paddocks, sowed and rolled in anticipation of rain on its way (black in sky now but still no precipitation)   Burnt an old hawthorn hedge and now have a hand covered in wood spells/splinters..ouch very sore. Sowed sweetcorn & pumpkins & petunias in greenhouse and put strawberries in cold frame (not sure if this is a good idea given the weather forecast for the coming week!)
Planted another  new apple tree, this makes six we've now lost due to rabbits chewing round bark over the height of the guards! OH is making new guards for all 26 trees now in hope of giving them greater protection. The blossom looks lovely but think frost/snow forecast for this week will bugger the job!
Tattie & sugar beet planting later this week and grass cutting big style!
Smallholding is a bit like painting the forth road bridge as soon as you get to one end its back to start at the other again!  ;D
Mandy  :pig:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2012, 02:43:14 pm »
Saturday - planted small plantation of bare rooted tweo year old hazel. Digging holes whilst fantasizing about a Makita petrol powered post hole borer.

Sunday went and collected weaners. Took ages. Got lost but they LOOOOOOVE their new place.

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2012, 04:32:05 pm »
so you can plant hazel bare root then? interesting!  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS