Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: colours of duck eggs??  (Read 3968 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
colours of duck eggs??
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:31:31 pm »
Today we had a second blueish egg and I wondered whose it is! Do Indian Runners lay blue eggs? I know the first one is always the little black white bibbed duck (probably a call duck). All the other ducks are Khakis and they lay white eggs, at least so I thought...We have one Indian Runner which is Khaki coloured. Does anyone have a Runner laying blueish eggs? Maybe she just took a long winter break? :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: colours of duck eggs??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 05:44:28 pm »
I have only ever had white eggs from MY Khaki Campbells but can't comment on the Runners as never had any, yet!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 05:51:56 pm »
Did you not recently incubate some Indian runners, James? (Just re-read your old post..) Were they white? I was trying to be selective which eggs to bring along, it doesn't seem to be happening lol :&>

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 05:58:17 pm »
Our runners normally lay coloured eggs- though I would say they're greenish rather than blue. But its most likely to be the runner. I have noticed this year with having the cayuga's, that the runners eggs are a lot pointier  ???

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 06:01:18 pm »
I did indeed have 6 Indian Runners in the incubator and if memory serves me right there was 1 blue!!!!! So, perhaps problem is solved. I do want to get some Runners for my collection as I think they are gorgous.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 06:36:17 pm »
She's a lovely girl! She always goes with the 2 boys, never with the other girls. I've seen pics of runners in other colours and they are stunning.
Funny, ballingall, one of our white eggs is pointy lol. Maybe it's the new duck laying blues, but she's the most pure Campbell of them all...it might stay a puzzle, never mind...:&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 08:50:39 pm »
My three beige and brown khaki campbells lay pale blue eggs.  Occasionally they are paler, almost white and I think it may be governed by the amount of greens they get on top of their layer pellets.  Less greens, paler eggs.  JME
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 10:02:11 am »
Of my 5 laying khakis 2 of whom are beige and 3 brown, I get a daily blue egg.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:05:38 pm »
Thank you all, I really had to laugh in the end at my attempt to find out! Silly, really, as they all will have a Khaki dad anyway, lol. It will be a lucky dip then, 2 small blue, 2 large blue and 2 whites for James!
:&> :&> :&> :&> :&> :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:24:35 pm »
I found out today that it's the Indian runner laying the large blue egg. She was nesting behind the old bathtub! This girl must have had a really long winter break as I thought it must have been the Campbell newbie giving me the blue egg...:&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS