Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chickens and netting?  (Read 2579 times)

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
chickens and netting?
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:44:18 am »
Hi

I ordered some poultry netting a couple of weeks ago from harrod horticultural but having phoned them today, i feel very let down as they've told me they won't be able to send it until the second week in May - a whole month after i ordered it :(  now the reason for ordering it was that i urgently need to make clear divisions between various raised beds and where my chickens can free range, so that they stop eating the contents of the beds.  The problem is that Harrod's seem to dominate the market. 

Can anyone please tell me what the minimum netting would need to be to keep chickens at bay.  Daytime foxes are not an issue and they have a very secure night time run, so i am just looking at plastic netting - not electric netting.

I do have a very fine netting which i think is just butterfly netting on a fruit cage which they have never attempted to get through - but not sure soft fruit plants have the same attraction to a chicken as a nice cabbage/lettuce/beetroot leaves/onion&shallot shoots do!

thanks L

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: chickens and netting?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:27:37 pm »
just get some fruit cage netting. four corner posts with either 2 or 3 wires running between. attach the fruit netting with loops of wire and you can then use it like a curtain. it also cheaper than specific bird netting.

Wellieboots

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:03:40 am »
Harrod are crap, I've been let down many times by them on orders so have scrapped them as a supplier. There are many other suppliers out there, just goggle poultry netting or get chicken wire as I've had/have exactly the same problem as you with totally free range chooks & my raised beds. I got 2 rolls of chicken wire from 4wire.co.uk which came next day.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:19:02 am »
I agree , try and cancel your order and re order from someone better. how about a make shift fence from sticks and twine or fishing line untill you get fixed up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS