Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HYCRACK LOG SPLITTERS  (Read 16824 times)

ChickenLiver George

• Joined Nov 2008
HYCRACK LOG SPLITTERS
« on: March 29, 2009, 05:14:16 pm »
Saw a post on log-splitters in November and the tractor-driven screw type made by Hycrack featured. Although it's the back end of the season for logs I am thinking about buying one from www.hycrack.co.uk

I watched one in operation a week or so ago and it certainly has got a brilliant throughput and it'srobust and made in britain.

Is it possible to hire these? I certainly would or if I bought one would perhaps hire it out locally

Would be greatful of anyone's experiences with these machines. Reading other forums there seems to be a division on safety but in the main most people say they're safe if you respect them like any other implement.

Perhaps I can get a deal from Hycrack as the summers coming  :)

George  :chook:

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
Re: HYCRACK LOG SPLITTERS
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 06:49:55 am »
screw type splitters are excellent would of been my prefered choice apart from cost, with a competant person using it these are fairly safe machine to use, dont know of anyone hiring them. I bought a logmaster hydraulic ram machine nearly half the price.

woodsman

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:19:25 pm »
hi,
and another thumbs up for the screw type splitter from me ! Spose i split over 100 cube a year and wouldn't use owt else .
it is possible to get knotty oak / elm stuck on the threads - i ,very carefully cut em off with the saw .
be very aware of the ability for a log to turn - you must keep your hands off once the log has bit (if not sooner). there is more technique , but is difficult to explain in text ., sorry .
If it's too steep to plough , put sheep on it , if the sheep fall off , plant trees .

Rollicker

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 09:14:30 am »
Hi
Just treated myself to an electric upright log splitter from Germany. 7 ton power, can split logs up to 4' in length. It's gone through 5 cordes of hardwood no problem. I would have liked a pto driven one but too expensive. This one cost me 350 euros and it's saved me that in back pain already!!

ChickenLiver George

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 11:48:17 am »
Hi Rollicker,
I still favour the screw type - I suppose you get what you pay for? Your 7 tonner for £350 is ok but Hycrack tell me that the HC1x equates to a 40 tonner!

Also I still favour the screw type on speed

I'm about to order one from Hycrack - so soon I'll be able to speak fromm experience!

George :chook:

TonytheWood

• Joined May 2009
DIY - LOG SPLITTERS
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 03:46:19 pm »
Hello LogSplitters   

I have access to various trees, large branches, fallen and pallet wood, etc. on a regular, legal, and frequent basis, along with ample [urban] storage space, my own chain saw, "medium/heavy" drop-back trailer - transporter, etc.

ADVICE PLEASE:

1) Type/make/etc of multi-fuel single room stove, approx 5 KW, and/or
back boiler - supplementary Central heating and room feature stove?

2) DIY Log Splitter plans/design source?
I have/have access to, welding/boring/cutting equipment.
Ditto steel mini RSJs
13 Amp, 250V supply only

3) Plans/design for- DIY Green wood maturing facility?

4) Plans/design for -Ready-to-burn wood storage facility

Any help very gratefully rec'd.

Tony t'amateur

AAA.Happy.Man@googlemail.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 11:31:32 pm »
Hi Tony
Don't know anything about your other queries, but room heaters I do.  I built my own house in Aberdeenshire and I put in an 8kw log burning flat topped stove as we were prone to power cuts - it was a Charnwood Country 8.  There are two types of stove - steel and cast iron.  The steel ones are cheaper - that's what mine was.  It cost me £800 including fitting but I didn't put in a back boiler, that would have been another £500 at the time of installation, but £1000 to change later.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

TonytheWood

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 08:35:34 am »
Hi Tony
Don't know anything about your other queries, but room heaters I do.  I built my own house in Aberdeenshire and I put in an 8kw log burning flat topped stove as we were prone to power cuts - it was a Charnwood Country 8.  There are two types of stove - steel and cast iron.  The steel ones are cheaper - that's what mine was.  It cost me £800 including fitting but I didn't put in a back boiler, that would have been another £500 at the time of installation, but £1000 to change later.

Hi  :dog: an' Jo

Many  :D :D for this! Any +/- for Steel V Cast , except £££ and resistance to hitting by falling chimney pots/sledge hammers?

:farmer:'s lad/TtW

wozie

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 03:02:58 pm »
has anyone else used the hycrck thinking of getting one as we have a little fergie 165 tractor ? ???

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 03:59:44 pm »
I've got one, it must be about 20 years old and still works great, they're a lot quicker that the hydraulic ones and there's not alot to go wrong with them.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 10:34:58 pm »
After much heart searching (regarding the price :o) I got one of these and it is really good.  Quick to use and is presently being used to split ash logs up to about 2 ft diameter.

Apparently they were the result of some lumberjacks wanting to split logs up in the woods - Jacked up the back of their truck, took one of the wheels off, sharpened the end of the shaft, revved up and used it to split the logs. 

I see you DIYers getting also revved up ;)

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS