Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Green egg layer - spurs  (Read 6536 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Green egg layer - spurs
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:51:12 pm »
Bought hubby an Araucana (well actually I fancied green eggs but thought I'd get away with it better by 'gifting' it to him) - been here since December. no eggs yet (that I can find)

couple of days ago I was bent over, finger in hole of drinker while filling it up so good opportunity to study my chooks when I noticed said 'hen' has  a nice pair of spurs growing there.
her feathers are rounded not pointy, the cockerel we do have isn't keen on her but I'm not sure if that's because she is a 'he' or becuase 'her' comb is still pale and she's young so he's not getting his wicked way yet.

what are they odds of this being a confused hen, a haemaphrodite or just another blinkin cockerel (agh!)     
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

princesspiggy

Re: Green egg layer - spurs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 05:07:26 pm »
wev have an araucana cockeral and he is pretty and qit fluffy tho not typically cockeral physique compared to our sussex but still very handsome. we crossed him with our sussex hens and now have a great supply of green eggs from their offspring.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:21:20 pm »
this one is fluffy and girly looking too  :-\ maybe we now have 2 boys then  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 06:38:14 pm »
Some of my hens of various breeds have short spurs.

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:06:43 pm »
it should crowing by now if its last years hatch. our sleeps up high in the leylandi tree...lol. i love getting the green eggs tho i confuses my daughter as she thinks they are duck eggs!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:40:57 am »
that's a good point - it definitely not crowing so hopefully is a girl. wish she'd hurry up and lay! neither of the green egg layers have given us an egg yet!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:35:08 pm »
It took ages for us to get out first egg from our auracana, one day i found a nest of about 20, is it possible she is laying else where??

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:14:23 pm »
Very good chance Cameron, you might have a point there. I did try and follow her the other day as she flew over the netting (yep, needs wing trimmed!) and scouted about the goat shed. I have a feeling there might be a pretty clutch of green eggs somewhere, having said that, her comb is very immature and still pale like a very young pullet.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 03:04:42 pm »
I have a chicken who is a cross between an ex-batt layer and a Cream Legbar cockerel. She has just started to lay, and lays eggs which are identical to pheasant eggs - smallish and a lovely dark green colour, which I'm delighted with! No spurs, though.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 04:24:01 pm »
feels like i've had these 2 ages though dizzy and still no oefs. maybe I'm being impatient? probably!

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 04:34:09 pm »
when was she hatched? ours were april and jusr started laying boxing day.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 04:55:46 pm »
I bought her in, she must have been about 15 weeks in December.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 05:53:31 pm »
Does the house she's in have light - I find that makes the biggest difference to when they start laying, at this sort of time of year. My houses have 14 hours light and my pure-breed pullets have just begun to lay. I think hybrids lay earlier. I don't have any Araucanias but I do have hens with short spurs and all my cockerels hatched last spring have been crowing for ages  :D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 06:12:59 pm »
Yes we raised 4 bl"""dy cockrels from day old chicks in May and they were crowing by July and trying to mate with the hens too. Very vocal, before they looked fully grown. Needless to say we ate them (with gritted teeth, they were not tastey!)

princesspiggy

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 06:19:53 pm »
probly a bit young to lay or crow....good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS