Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: a new beginning  (Read 5237 times)

nettelein

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: a new beginning
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 09:24:03 pm »
Thanks for that, That's what I thought
I think I can count myself lucky if it is 50%. Got to hope for the best. As for male or female, got to wait and see

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 07:44:14 am »
I keep Silver Appleyards. Very good layers and free rangers.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

nettelein

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 08:43:57 am »
They are lovely! I really like the color of silver Appleyards. My last ducks were not pure breed. I had 2 big white ones, not pure breed Aylesburys though, and 2 slightly smaller with the colours of silver Appleyard, but once again not pure breed. They hads a bit of indian runner in them too, walked a lot more upright and had longer necks. In their young years, I had so many eggs (3 every day) and egg buying wasn't necessary. Look forward to that again.   

nettelein

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 01:01:28 pm »
OK, nearly ready to start. Just need the eggs now. Incubator arrived and test run completed. Now, it really has to be heavy breed ducks, but the choice is sooo big!!! Aylesbury, Silver Appleyard, Saxony, I think they are my favourite. Maybe I should have some of each. Would they get on? Any advice would be appreciated. My parents always had ducks, geese and chicken all in one run with one house and they got on great. I only ever had my ducks, they hatched together and got on brilliantly.

nettelein

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 09:27:23 pm »
ok, incubator tested and all ready to go, collecting the eggs (aylesburys) in the next few days. i've read all i could find to make sure i'm well prepared. though i must say, with all the info there is available, sometimes you don't know what to believe. there's always different views. temperature, humidity, when to do what.........it's endless. a few things i need advice on...............-spraying the eggs with hand warm water. when should i do that and how often?
               -turning the eggs. i've got to turn them by hand, should i spray them afterwards, as i've read somewhere
                and should i maybe put on cotton gloves, some say that even your hands can affect them
any advice???

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS