Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: onions  (Read 3311 times)

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
onions
« on: February 16, 2012, 01:23:45 pm »
I bought some onions sets today and was told to start them off indoors as we are in wales and quite high up. In the past I used to just plant them outside, what am I meant to do with them indoors? Start them in small pots or treat them like chitting potatoes?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: onions
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:37:20 pm »
I always put mine straight in the ground - usually early April. We are not particularly high, or desperately cold, but we are pretty exposed.

Where abouts are you? Might be better just to wait a bit until things warmer.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:32:07 pm »
I'd wait a bit then get them in the ground after mid march. I space mine less than suggested but then we eat onions every day and need a lot. I put my shallots in Nov and my garlic late December. Both are poking thru the melting snow here.
Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:18:30 pm »
Masegwyn,
What sort of onion sets or transplants are they / most can be planted now ( though not all ) ?

I have a shed load of info about early crops and what type etc.to use , let me know what type & I'll see what my oracles say .

I'm at SA18 3BZ , 117 mtrs above sea level  the temps have been aroind 48 F average (9 C ) for seven days with only a very ligth frost two evenings ago .
My sets were put in last week after the frost thawed right through the 8 inches of frost in my veg beds so were my final garlics .

Plant your onions in a prepared bed that has been well manured with old composted animal manure , watch out for the earth and birds  lifting  out the sets (  bloody crows  are doing it around here ) , simply push them back down an inch deep and lightly cover them up .

Obviously don't plant in frozen ground & at present there is no need to water them unless your ground is bone dry.

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:54:12 am »
Just bought 500 g of Sturon onion sets ( 2.50 Eur) because the sun is out and the supermarket is full of onion sets and seed spuds. Forecast is for snow tomorrow but then rain. we are about 500 meters here and a long way from the coast so I will leave planting as above.

NB - I will tread the soil (that I spread with compost/muck in Nov ) down and use a stick to make the hole for each set. I believe onions prefer firm soil and not freshly manured. Plantoid can let me know if I am wrong here.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Slavo

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:28:36 pm »
I've gone ahead too and planted 300g of red baron sets. First time growing onions, we shall see :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS