Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel  (Read 10539 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Polytunnel
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 12:35:27 am »
Very interesting - the advice we were given was the direct opposite - fit side rails to attach the cover if you are in a windy area.

Lol...well there you are, just goes to show  ;D I would say tho, we've managed to get through 3 major storms with the winds hitting us full on average 80mph (some gusts were recorded up to 100mph) and our tunnel stayed put. Three other tunnel nearby got completely trashed, ended up as twisted wrecks. They all had rails. I'm not saying your advice was wrong..just what seems to work up here in the very windy north  ;) Or it could just be that you and I are brilliant at putting up polytunnels and should go into business together  :thumbsup:

;D ;D ;D  Our very first cover lasted only 9 months and was torn off in a 100mph blow, but that was because we had attached the battens the wrong way round  ::)   The forces involved were enormous - the hefty bolts which attached the base rails to the hoops were bent about 30-40 degrees, but the main structure survived intact. The torn and flapping polythene, plus the roar of the gale, made a terrifying amount of noise. That was a good few years ago now but I certainly haven't forgotten it.
We have just put on the third cover and hope it lasts another 13 years like the last one (with the battens on properly).  But I wouldn't want to do it for a business  :o :o - 3 times is quite enough for me  :D  From this, it clearly doesn't make a blind bit of difference which method you use - it's just manufacturers promoting their own product  ::)
As a matter of interest, how long do the edges of the polythene last when they are buried before they go brittle or tear?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
Re: Polytunnel
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 10:13:06 am »
I would recommend using the fixing brackets for the cover and not digging a trench.
Replacing a torn cover that has been secured in a trench is torture.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS