Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig farmer update  (Read 7148 times)

Smalltime

Re: pig farmer update
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 11:24:53 am »
What type of judgement?

To clarify, other people on other forums may have made judgements but I do not think people have on here. The videos are there for all to see, I do not think that is a bad thing. People should know what is going on. Having grown up in town I have shovelled bacon and eggs into my mouth for years without thinking twice - now I would be more inclined to question its source. I think that is a good thing and it is a direct result of people writing on forums. The more people that talk about it, the more likely it is things will change across the country. This was the first, random pig farm this group went and filmed in and this is what they found. Do you think it is a completely isolated incident? I do not think you should discourage discussion on the matter or paint pictures of people passing judgement in order to guilt-trip people into feeling they should maintain a state of silent reflection. These are issues that ought to be aired and if more people start questioning where there food comes from then it may well be the farmers in the UK who end up reaping the benefits.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:15:35 pm by Smalltime »

chickenfeed

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 12:14:14 pm »
I have watched all the videos, to clarify,  and am as disgusted as anyone else about the appalling cruelty depicted.

While anyone can write whatever they like on forums, that is their right, there is another side of it, they should remember that their comments are about real people; and may affect those people and also their families and friends, and they may not cope. I dont expect people to feel at all sorry for the farmer;
only to be fair.

Personally I hope the people responsible for the cruelty are jailed for life although I suspect that wont happen. The cruelty inflicted was terrible and I also think someone who could do that to dumb animals would also be at real risk of similar violence to people.

as a breeder / keeper of livestock i would never describe them as dumb imho they have more about them than a lot of humans.

in the case of the farmer in question its all turned out to be very sad both for the animals and the humans but he must have been aware of some practices on the farm a pit of dead pigs is not easy to hide !.

robert waddell

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 12:32:35 pm »
this cruelty and neglect happened last year   WHY WAS IT NOT REPORTED AT THE TIME
the guy inflicting the pain and suffering  WOULD YOU WALK UP TO HIM AND TELL HIM HE WAS SACKEDyou would be lying there in trauma
as to the film being the first farm they went to i doubt that
and if as is said the one taking the video was in charge he is equally to blame as the owner and the workers under him :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 12:47:19 pm »
I have watched all the videos, to clarify,  and am as disgusted as anyone else about the appalling cruelty depicted.

While anyone can write whatever they like on forums, that is their right, there is another side of it, they should remember that their comments are about real people; and may affect those people and also their families and friends, and they may not cope. I dont expect people to feel at all sorry for the farmer;
only to be fair.

Personally I hope the people responsible for the cruelty are jailed for life although I suspect that wont happen. The cruelty inflicted was terrible and I also think someone who could do that to dumb animals would also be at real risk of similar violence to people.

as a breeder / keeper of livestock i would never describe them as dumb imho they have more about them than a lot of humans.

in the case of the farmer in question its all turned out to be very sad both for the animals and the humans but he must have been aware of some practices on the farm a pit of dead pigs is not easy to hide !.

...By dumb I mean dumb:  ie unable to speak and tell what is going on. Not dumb as in stupid.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »
Sorry, I think it's wrong, of us to make judgements about this.

Why? I would have thought the video films speak for themselves and for the poor old pigs who can't. Did you make a judgement whilst the farmer was still alive? Or is it "not done" now that he's dead?

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 03:04:23 pm »
I would respectfully suggest that at this stage we all draw a line under the comments on this topic.

I concur, and the thread is now locked.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS