Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig farmer update  (Read 7141 times)

chickenfeed

pig farmer update
« on: February 15, 2012, 12:16:12 pm »
the norfolk pig farmer has been found dead

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-17038524

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: pig farmer update
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 12:30:20 pm »
another confirmation here from farmers guardian
http://www.farmersguardian.com/man-found-dead-at-norfolk-pig-farm-accused-of-cruelty/44891.article#.Tzucriba4Rw.facebook

I do think this may illustrate that trial by media is not a fair or good thing and we should really resist joining in with it. The place for trials is in a court of law, where the all the facts can be calmly assessed and people judged and cleared or punished according to their degree of culpability.

Smalltime

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:33:28 pm »
Not much to say as we do not know why he is dead.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:45:04 pm »
I do think this may illustrate that trial by media is not a fair or good thing and we should really resist joining in with it. The place for trials is in a court of law, where the all the facts can be calmly assessed and people judged and cleared or punished according to their degree of culpability.
I agree the media coverage has not been a good thing but the animals now won't get their chance to be represented in court and he has taken that right away from them. He won't pay but no doubt his poor family left behind will. I'm truly sorry for them.
My nan always had a saying that God didn't have his debts paid to him in money. Looks like he took early payment on this one.
Mandy  :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 12:49:06 pm »
I echo Mandy's sentiments, and regardless of how & why he died, my thoughts go out to his family & those left behind. So sad, and needless  :'(
Karen  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:45 pm »
200 hrs of secrete footage   that is 5 weeks of videoing  without being suspicious
we all remember the landlord in bath that was rounded on because he did not fit the mould  and got compensation for it
i am not sure the courts are the best place to bring out the truth or otherwise
i know of four cases of cruelty all treated differently the only common factor was somebody through circumstances put on a pole for all to jeer at :farmer:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »
I agree the media coverage has not been a good thing but the animals now won't get their chance to be represented in court and he has taken that right away from them. He won't pay but no doubt his poor family left behind will. I'm truly sorry for them.
My nan always had a saying that God didn't have his debts paid to him in money. Looks like he took early payment on this one.
Mandy  :pig:

I guess I just dont feel able to be judge and jury. Sickening behaviour on the video, we all agree on that and it should and will be punished, we hope. There will certainly be days in court for these animals, no doubt on that score. And when that happens, I hope they throw the book at them.

But summary trial and condemnation by media within hours of video clips surfacing is not the behaviour of a healthy society, there is too much glee in witch hunts and demonisation IMO.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 05:15:48 pm »
its a shame it wasnt the bloke with the bar, he should do the same. 

jonkil

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:29:32 pm »
What can we say....... sad really.
Sad that he had to permit this sort of animal treatment on his property, sad he ran his farm in such a fashion, sad that he wasn't man enough to stand trial.... and yes, its sad he had to bring a final solution to his temporary problem..... and sad that many (including me)  wont shed a tear for his pitiful soul.You "put it round" it eventually "comes around" to bite your arse. Tonight he has no worries, he cowardly left his family to deal with that problem.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 07:27:04 pm »
I've no love for animal activist groups but there can be no denying the deliberate cruelty involved here. That farmer may have thought death was the best way out(if, indeed it was suicide) but he may well find that his crimes must still be paid for. I hope the workers involved will be brought to justice too.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:58:06 pm »
Sorry, I think it's wrong, of us to make judgements about this.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 08:33:52 am »
As I understand it the farmer does not appear any of the cruelty film, so one has to at least allow the possibility that he may have been (very) negligently unaware as opposed to actively involved until a court case took place to determine exactly how much he was involved.

That doesnt absolve his ultimate responsibility for what went on nor his failure to do his job in ensuring things were done properly, but it would make it  different in nature from those who actually decided to inflict violence and cruelty on dumb animals.

We just dont know. And the reason we dont is because he isnt here. And the reason he isnt here may be because he was wracked with guilt and shame but may also be just as much to do with the media witchhunt and instant judgements made on tens and hundreds of forums like this one.

Smalltime

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:46 am »
Sorry but that is modern life. You have had your fair share of things to say on the matter. If you permit/commit a crime and then feel victimised and don't want people talking on forums about it - tough, its out of your hands. That is the world we live in. You said its a witch hunt and so forth by the media - from what I have seen they have just reported the facts plain and simple and even put the video of the farmers interview on the BBC website with the article, that is not mis-representation or a media witch hunt in my eyes. Thats just the news.

I don't have any sympathy for him whatsoever, however there is a difference between that and clapping your hands with glee because he is now dead, which I am not pleased about it either.

Maybe the only people who should comment are those that have actually watched all the videos. If you run a 'farm' where that sort of thing is going on...well it is going to make people feel angry, lets put it that way. I think sympathy is going to be in short supply, other than for those left behind ofcourse.

The footage is horrific, for the RSPCA to say it is some of the most disturbing they have ever seen should paint a pretty vivid picture of pigs getting their brains smashed all over the courtyard by some chav with an iron bar. Not to mention the rest of it. As stated, not happy he is dead but hardly crying into my cornflakes about it.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 11:17:38 am »
I have watched all the videos, to clarify,  and am as disgusted as anyone else about the appalling cruelty depicted.

While anyone can write whatever they like on forums, that is their right, there is another side of it, they should remember that their comments are about real people; and may affect those people and also their families and friends, and they may not cope. I dont expect people to feel at all sorry for the farmer;
only to be fair.

Personally I hope the people responsible for the cruelty are jailed for life although I suspect that wont happen. The cruelty inflicted was terrible and I also think someone who could do that to dumb animals would also be at real risk of similar violence to people.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:29:02 am by lachlanandmarcus »

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 11:20:08 am »
Sorry but that is modern life.
In the old days people used to send poison pen letters, this type of judgement on people is in my opinion the 21st century equivalent of a poison pen letter, I would respectfully suggest that at this stage we all draw a line under the comments on this topic.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS