Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ages for weaners to go to their new homes  (Read 6402 times)

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
Ages for weaners to go to their new homes
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:05:11 pm »
Hi all,

I wondered if anyone could advise me on how many weeks weaners should be to go to their new homes please?  We've a new owner coming to collect four older pigs this weekend, but she also wants 2 weaners.  They'll be 7 weeks old this weekend.  Is that too young?

Thanks,
Steph

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: Ages for weaners to go to their new homes
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:07:54 pm »
I don't sell mine until they are 8 weeks old but if yours has been weaned already I can't see a problem with him going at 7 weeks.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:19:54 pm »
Actually, I've just checked my calender and realised that it had a week duplicated over the page :-s they'll only be 6 weeks.  Bit young right?

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 04:21:00 pm »
yes to young they need the 8 weeks :farmer:

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:33:09 pm »
It's what I thought but wanted to be 100% sure as I'm sure they new owner will ask about taking them too.

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:49:28 pm »
I wean around 8 weeks - depending on when the sow and piglets are ready and I like to have them here for at least a  week before they go to their new homes to make sure everything is OK.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 09:25:25 am »
We weaned Clover this morning. her piglets are 7wks old, we always keep them an extra week and let them go at 8wks (during the week we'll worm them, tag them and make sure they're all eating and drinking well and have no coffs'sneezes etc.)
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:29 am »
Why do you tag weaners Mandy ? They should be tagged by the new owner so they have his herd number.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:39:32 am »
Most of my weaners go to people who have one or two to fatten, they're birth notified GOS and they have to be traceable so go to butchers on my tags proving they are pedigree GOS, saves them buying tags too.
Nevr had any problems with it so long as both movement sheets from me to them and them to butcher all read the same tag numbers.
Hope that explains

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:47:54 am »
this just highlights the b*****ks that is supposed to be traceability in pigs  sheep and cattle are supposed to traceable to birth yet pigs the alleged cause of all manner of unspeakable problems   no don't need that the guy that buys them will do fine to tag them  crap the whole thing is utter crap the quicker they change it the better
long live birth notified pigs stuff there stupid system of working :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:56:13 am »
Completely agree Robert a pig should have the same identity right the way thro its life however short, wasn't there something about a pig having to have a tag for every holding it had been to that was muted a while ago so a pig sold 3 times would have 3 tags???? ::) ??? Bureaucracy gone mad.
Of course pigs can travel upto one year old on a paint mark. I vaguely remember somebody taking a litter of piglets with a sow to a show and TS made them tag each baby, the tags were bigger than the piglets! Nobody seems to fully know what the rules are and they're the people upholding them!
Ps Reminds me must do a birth note for these monsters!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:59:54 am by Fowgill Farm »

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 12:02:49 pm »
Another cause of confusing ear numbers is having to notch Saddlebacks or tattoo Tamworths at about 5-6 weeks before they are weaned and ready for sale, and probably before anyone has decided for sure which ones to register.    All you can use at this stage is their initial birth registration numbers, with all the boy piglets having to be given numbers before the girls.  At least 4 of the 10 piglets we had out of each litter last year could have been registered, but of the three gilts that were, their eventual official herd name and number bears no relation to their ear number/notch/tattoo/tag.     Don't know if this would be an issue if one wanted to go to shows?    Tamsaddle

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 12:12:54 pm »
Tamsaddle do you mean its herd name such as for me it would be Rhos Mermaid 6, the 6 doesn't have to match the notch its the birth notification number that has to match the notch.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 12:23:26 pm »
i just cant follow your post tamsaddle  the numbers that you have tattoed on there ears should be the same as the pedigree certificate if you have registered them
your sow gives birth to 12 piglets   10 survive  and 2 are victims of birth  on your birth notification  you write 12 born 10 notified   the five boys get (for arguments sake) 1-5 the girls get 6-10
boy 3 and girl 6 8 10 are cracking pigs meet all the standards of the Tamworth pig  so you register them  with your prefix and there birth number (this is a rolling number your next litter starts from 11 and ends with whatever)
now the bpa have maybe corrected your mistake if you made one on the rolling number also maybe corrected if you are using only registered piglets on the rolling number basis
i know a lot of mistakes are made and corrected by Diane (very efficient and helpfull)
it is simple to follow but do come back if you are still in need of assistance :farmer:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:48 pm »
Well we now have a registered Tamworth gilt known as Mengeham Ruby 3 (the third of my piglets who were registered;  two now belong to someone else) who has a ear number CFN7, as that was her birth ID number after her 6 brothers before her - our first ever litter.   Our registered Saddleback Gilt is Mengeham Ivy (no number as she is No. 1) who has a ear notch for 20, as she ended up last on the birth notification list of 6 girls, after her 4 brothers, and after the 10 Tamworth piglets born 3 weeks earlier.    Someone or other from the BPA was on the phone to me the other day after their online notification system failed once again and I had to do it by snail mail, and he seemed to think this ear numbering muddle was absolutely fine.  Do hope this is the case - Tamsaddle

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS