Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deformed piglet  (Read 5068 times)

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
Deformed piglet
« on: February 26, 2012, 10:17:05 pm »
Today my saddleback sow had her 2nd litter,but 1 piglet was born deformed its front legs would not straighten out,it looked like a dolphin.Has anyone else experienced this before,if so what is the cause.Secondly the umbilical cords on all the piglets were really long over 12 inches maybe 18.Any suggestions,inbreeding can be ruled out as the sow is a saddle back and the boar was a large white pietran. 

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Deformed piglet
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:39:59 pm »
Can't really comment on the deformed piglet - it may be worth going back to her breeder & the owner/breeder of the boar, it could just be one of those things - I've not come across it myself.

Re the umbilical cords, it sounds quite normal to me, my KKs have often had cords over a foot long.  I suppose it's to do with the position of the growing embryo compared to the placenta.

If you get a definative answer about the cords, please post it on here, I'm guessing not many folks have experienced it.

:love: :pig: :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:45:35 pm »
the cords are long     was the piglet living or dead :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 08:28:21 am »
Not to alarm you, but the schmallenberg virus seems to be causing this in lambs (leg joints are deformed and the lambs can't straighten their legs - it's causing all sorts of bother with lambing) but I don't know if the disease even has an effect on pigs - so it could just be complete coincidence.
Does you sow show any signs of problems ? Or signs of erysepilas ? - this can cause joint problems too.

Long umbilical cords isn't anything unusual  :thumbsup: You can trim them at birth if you really want to (sterilised round ended scissors, trim no shorter than 6 inches) but I always find mine's drop off by day 2 or 3 anyway.

HTH
Karen  :wave:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 08:33:02 am »
Smallemburg does not affect pigs (midges can't get through the skin).

Deformed happens in all animals and we have in tye past occasionally got a deformed piglet.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41:54 am »
Smallemburg does not affect pigs (midges can't get through the skin).

Deformed happens in all animals and we have in tye past occasionally got a deformed piglet.

Glad you've answered that Robin  :thumbsup:
I'd just seen your other post and was going to message you to ask  ;)
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:09:01 am »
if the lenght of the cord alarms you  just tie it with string      we had one that was a bleeder :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:35 am »
We do as HH and cut longer umbilical cords as they can get stretched if left attached and cause hernias. So ours are cut with sterilised scissors and sprayed with iodine, they drop of completely within a couple of days.

Mandy  :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:22:14 am »
I've never had an umbilical cord on a piglet after a few hours. I presume the sow bites them off. I will have to keep an eye on them next litter. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:46:31 am »
it is a funny thing with animals    you could Farrow and calve cows over a long period with little or no intervention and be convinced your way is the only way until you start having losses then your management and preventative treatments alter drastically
the navel is an easy access point for infection in all animals and until you have had losses or illness contracted through the navel the attention to detail is minuscule   cutting the cord  tying it off and doesing with iodine should be done  without hesitation
a pig i have yet to see licking or attending to there of spring like other animals :farmer:

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:40:58 pm »
The piglet in question was born alive,and i saw it delivered however it wasn't until about an hour later that i noticed it shuffling using its back legs and chest.Right or wrong i dispatched the poor mite,i would rather have a swift ending than be laid on by the sow.Regarding the cords they have dried and shrivelled up nicely now and all 9 made it through the night.
Thanks all that added there input.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS