Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Are Herdwicks a good starter breed?  (Read 6534 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Are Herdwicks a good starter breed?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 07:58:51 pm »
If you are only keeping a few sheep on a non-commercial basis, I'd suggest that you go with a British rare or traditional breed. No disrespect to the Texel as it seems to be a very popular commercial breed and I'm sure it's very good at producing big meaty lambs for the suppermarket but it is fugly. Not as fugly as a Beltex but close.

You have an opportunity to invest in a British breed that, for now, doesn't meet the demands of the supermarkets for lean, muscley, uniform carcases - and help to protect the genetics of these wonderful breeds that are part of our social history for the future. Plus you'll get something pleasing to the eye and that tastes wonderful too.

The Rare Breeds Survival Trust has information about sheep breeds on its website but try and visit some shows, sales or local breeders of breeds you fancy. Most breeders of rare breed sheep are happy to wax lyrical about them for hours  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 08:03:33 pm »
Oh dear, poor Texels  ;D

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 08:15:23 pm »
I'm afraid I concur on the fugliness of Texels, they are also prone to get stuck on their backs, and the broad heads can cause difficult lambing.

What kind of land do you have?
Rich, improved grass, or heath and scrub?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS