Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which breed  (Read 3641 times)

michael

• Joined Jan 2012
  • castlewellan co.down
which breed
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:42:07 pm »
hello everyone

just joined,have lots of questions to ask,
 would like to know what would the best
 breed of sheep to buy to start on my new
 small holding,there is about 20acres,very
 rough lowland ground,full of wind bushes,parts
 of it is steep ground and very bogey ground
 hope you can help me out,I'm living in co.down
where the mountains of mourne sweep down to
the sea!!

princesspiggy

Re: which breed
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 08:58:40 pm »
lucky you, i used to live near there and we had a school trip up the mountains of mourne. so beautiful.
choosing a native breed that suits your land makes it alot easier.
 :wave:

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:12:06 pm »
Maybe one of the primitive or hill breeds that are well adapted to rough grazing, I'm not an expert on the breeds though!  I think the primitives tend to be smaller overall.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 09:45:13 pm »
I would recommend Soays.  They were my introduction into sheepkeeping, they are wild and flighty but they have amazing characters.  They are a lot smaller than other sheep and I believe their meat tastes fantastic.  We are a little way off that but I have heard it from a number of sources.  But I am no expert and very new to this.  What do people nearby have - that must be a good place to start??? Good Luck it sounds lovely
Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 11:03:04 pm »
Here we go again, trouble with this question is everyone says have some of my breed, we all have our favourites. The good point of this question though is you're considering your land, that's most important, the main answer to this question though is to have something you like, otherwise you won't enjoy having them half as much. So pick a breed that your neighbours have as a norm not as a one off and combine that with the fact that you like them and you won't go far wrong.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 11:34:38 pm »
The National Sheep Associations website has a run down of all the major breeds.

Have a look at a few and see what you like. I would personally go for something with a halfway commercial carcase and one that isn't prone to too many congenital defects.

If you decide you want something fancy after, you will get a decent price for your original ones at market.

It's always interesting to see what others are doing - I have a very clear idea bout where I'm headed, commercially speaking with my sheep, but I'm still interested in other systems, especially 'easy-care' low input ones, because I think its the way forward. You will find that sheep farmers are more than ready to natter for hours about their systems/breed choice.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:07:00 am »
Don't go for something you don't have over there, as importing is long and complicated, and can be expensive.  Go to your local agricultural shows and see what other people have, then choose what you think you might like - no point in buying sheep you find ugly  :D.
On boggy ground sheep tend to have more foot problems, but if you also have rocky areas that might counteract the wet  :)

When you say 'wind bushes', do you mean whin or gorse?  Gorse is a real pain with sheep as if they get stuck in it they will just stand there until you find them or they die ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 07:23:54 am »
A friend of mine has just bought a few Galways.  My reservation would be that they may be on the large side for your land but equally they are a breed more local to you and one that is in need of some attention. 

Can't stress enough that you need to try something that is readily available on your side of the Irish Sea.  I know there are some surprising breeds that have either not made it across or have only just been established.  For example the first Black Welsh Mountain Sheep only went to Ireland in the autumn of 2011.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 08:15:01 am »
I've heard Romneys have good feet, even under damp conditions.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS