Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pain relief for castrating ?  (Read 8829 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Pain relief for castrating ?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:56:39 am »
our Shetlands wouldnt be worth sending at 6 months so would be interested in how that's done too! Have sent one off at 7-8 months, very tender but not a lot there! (and that was an entire)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 01:13:10 pm »
Never weighed one! We have always had good lambs to kill and they have plenty on them,( they are as big as the ewes when they are slaughtered.) dont know what we do different to others ??? they say it is because they are left entire they grow better  and we do grow a 'lamb' field full of good grass for them but cannot say we have noticed a difference since we started not castrating.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 02:15:12 pm »
Adrenocaine  sorry i got the spelling wrong it is used for dehorning cattle, but can be bought over the counter.
Inject sub/cut into the tail around where you are going to  put the ring on we inject about 2ml in small doses, so we flood the tissues that will be squeezed by the ring ( this applies to the scrotum as well ).
Leave for 10 mins like at the dentist, so the tail goes numb then apply the ring.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 02:49:04 pm »
This might sound daft but I am not sure that it wouldnt be more uncomfy having the injection in the lambies balls than the ringing causes?  I have only ever seen one look uncomfy with the ringing and that was for about 10 seconds and then he skipped away again.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 03:15:14 pm »
hmm that was my thought for the scrotum, local aneasthetic is/ canbe  painful to inject
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 07:33:33 pm »
Adrenocaine  sorry i got the spelling wrong it is used for dehorning cattle, but can be bought over the counter.
Inject sub/cut into the tail around where you are going to  put the ring on we inject about 2ml in small doses, so we flood the tissues that will be squeezed by the ring ( this applies to the scrotum as well ).
Leave for 10 mins like at the dentist, so the tail goes numb then apply the ring.

Lignocaine is what is used for dehorning calves.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 07:44:28 pm »
looks to be similar in action and yes is also listed for dehorning in cattle ( seems to have better properties for reducing bleeding than lignocaine)
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 07:52:41 pm »
you're probably right since we don't castrate our males because they are not around that long. we have only ever done two boys who had to stay on farm to go as wethers because we sold them to a friend. so i can't really say i'm an expert in the castrating department, but we did inject them and they seemed ok even when we were putting the needle in.
We always do the tails and like i said, it is just our personal preference to inject, i do hate to see them lie down and kick. I think maybe we are just big softies!!

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 07:54:30 pm »

Lignocaine is what is used for dehorning calves.
Yes i think they are the same just marketed under different names

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS