Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pain relief for castrating ?  (Read 8827 times)

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
Pain relief for castrating ?
« on: February 05, 2012, 02:51:08 pm »
Smudger has raised an interesting query about pain relief during docking/castrating.  I never found docking caused much pain with my Wiltshires and now have Shetlands, so it isn't an issue.  However, castrating the shetlands seemed very uncomfortable for the little boys for quite awhile! 

I've fluctuated between no castration (and the issues of keeping them apart from the ewes) and ring-castrating upto the 7 day limit and worrying about the pain.  Has anyone asked the vets what pain relief could possibly be given? 

Also do you think that eventually castrating with rings will be banned ?

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Pain relief for castrating ?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »
Smudger has raised an interesting query about pain relief during docking/castrating.  I never found docking caused much pain with my Wiltshires and now have Shetlands, so it isn't an issue.  However, castrating the shetlands seemed very uncomfortable for the little boys for quite awhile! 

I've fluctuated between no castration (and the issues of keeping them apart from the ewes) and ring-castrating upto the 7 day limit and worrying about the pain.  Has anyone asked the vets what pain relief could possibly be given? 

Also do you think that eventually castrating with rings will be banned ?
don't say that!  some smart eu person might see it and think it's a good idea!
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 03:27:46 pm »
Hi - I kept a small flock of BWM for 20 years or so.  They didn't need docking, and I never castrated any of the males, and ran the whole flock together always.

Never had many problems that I can remember.  The biggest ram kept everyone in order, and kept the younger boys away from the ewes during the season.  Lambing generally was from early Jan and did linger on a bit some years, but as they were easy lambers it didn't bother me all that much.

The young ewe lambs always got in lamb without problems though I would watch them in case they had one big single, and the boys were fine to eat without any ram taint as long as they weren't slaughtered in the season.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:48:39 pm »
I castrate all my boys just cos they tend to trash the fences otherwise as I keep them until their second year. Have never had any issues of it seeming to cause them real pain/issues. I do them at 1 day old, (the ewes lamb outside and then are brought in for lambs to get dry and make sure they are mothered up and drinking, and then once castrated next day they go out again).

Only had one or two where I couldnt be happy that the balls were both present and correct and 'safely gathered in'; these were left uncastrated but have been sent off in the winter due to the fence trashing above.

I am very very pro animal welfare but dont have any problems with the ringing, just cos I can see it isnt causing them a problem, I do it and then they are off investigating pen/straw/mum's sheep cob bucket straight away.

However I did go on a course to do lambing and learn how to ring properly AND I did do it under vet supervision the first few times. Maybe that should be compulsory. But I think the ringing should remain a matter of choice.

Tail ringing I think is less clear cut, since it would be possible to breed out long daggy tails, if that were prioritised. But while the tails are long, in certain areas of the country the right answer is to ring, but the real answer is to breed out long tails over time. I dont face this issue since Shetlands have naturally shorter tails and dont need to be docked.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:16:50 pm »
If you want to read more on this subject see here

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/s/00man/PainRumOverviews/PainProc/P06PainPrev_Lamb_Castrate_Dock.htm

Personally when I did have sheep I tended to find the younger the lamb when this was done the less they seemed to suffer.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 05:03:04 pm »
I've always found that lambs tend to lie down and thrash around for a few minutes after ringing but are soon up and feeding. I do cringe when doing them and suffer for them for a day or two :(

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 06:20:26 pm »

I

However I did go on a course to do lambing and learn how to ring properly AND I did do it under vet supervision the first few times. Maybe that should be compulsory. But I think the ringing should remain a matter of choice.

I think this point is soooooo important
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 06:32:09 pm »
We always inject with Adrenocane before castrating or docking. Our vet suggested we did after loosing a couple of lambs after docking then it turned very cold that day and they became very cold after mum wandered off and they couldn't find her this was because they were still in pain from the ring and reluctant to move.
It's a personal thing, i also just hate to see them kicking and in pain, for a few pence and a jab of the magic stuff subcut into their tail and they do none of that. The bottle comes from the Agi-store and does loads of lambs and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 06:37:01 pm »
How would you use it in the case of ringing lambs for castration?

thank you
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 08:27:42 pm »
Feldar, could you check the name of the pain relief you use as I couldn't find it on the internet. thx
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 09:53:52 am »
Neither could I, but if it works it sounds bril!
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 10:12:53 am »
I got a pain-killing jag for the male goat kids when I had to re-do the burdizzo after it was botched the first time.
I think that ringing does hurt young lambs, but they seem to get over it quite quickly. I only ever do it (and tails) while they're still in a mothering-up pen so they can't curl up and get left behind.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 10:28:45 am »
We only kill lambs and dont keep any ram lambs on so we dont castrate at all. We just have to make sure that we kill before the end of September when they 'mature'. We have Shetlands as well so no need for docking either.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:01 am »
I was going to ask about this as I have switched to Shetlands. I used to send my Rough Fell boys off at 6 months and 40-50 kg, so no need to ring, but I thought I might need to keep the Shetland males til hoggs. You're saying you can still send them at 6 months? What sort of weights do they make by then?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 11:46:03 am »
I looked it up as adrenocaine seems it is a useful drug but Id be interested to know its used
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS