Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted, Trio of Chickens  (Read 4054 times)

Elyssian

• Joined Jan 2009
Wanted, Trio of Chickens
« on: March 25, 2009, 08:51:22 am »
I've been looking for a trio of pure bred chickens for several weeks. You wouldn't think it would be too difficult, would you? I only want Rhode Island Reds or Welsummers or Crested Cream Legbars, nothing too unusual or rare, but I'm really struggling.
I'm in South Yorks, I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance and I'm happy to pay the asking price, yet I can't seem to find anything. These chickens would be the beginning of my own flock, so obviously I want sound, healthy birds and that is more important than the actual breed.
Does anyone have anything? Or know of somewhere I might try? The birds will be kept free range and I'm not a complete novice as I've kept hybrids for several years.
Many thanks

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Wanted, Trio of Chickens
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:41:53 am »
Hi, would be able to help you but unfortunately I am too far away. If you try www.practicalpoultry.co.uk and then go to the forum, put in a wanted ad, there are also quite a few for sale and there are people from various areas of Yorkshire and Lancashire. Hope that helps

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:54:03 am »
where in sy are you? I might be able to help, I know a few people who keep chickens of various breeds. practical poultry is always a good source of info. There is also storrs poultry near penistone who sell a few breeds. there seem to be loads of enthusiastic breeders round doncaster.

Elyssian

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:00:36 am »
Thank you both for your advice. Carl I'm in Sheffield, I've bought hybrids from Storrs Poultry in the past and they've been good healthy birds. That was in the days when we had a rugged Volvo estate (and a Labrador) Sadly the Lab is no longer with us so we now have a Nissan Micra and there is no way we could get down that lane in it, (definitely not for the fainthearted, that lane  :o).

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 09:12:08 am »
Yes, what a lane that is. last time I went on it there was ice and snow so it was great fun.
Have you got fixed up yet? If you pm me I might be able to help you find someone with a trio.

Elyssian

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:41:26 pm »
Thanks Carl, I tried sending you a PM, but I'm not sure it's worked. Yes please, if you hear of anything suitable I'd be very grateful

Elyssian

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 07:21:25 pm »
Thank you everyone, I'm fixed up now. 1 Copper black marans cockerel and half a dozen lady friends for him. Had to travel to Nottingham, but probably cheaper in the long run than a new suspension.  ;D

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 11:06:18 am »
glad to hear it. i could only find tiny chicks and young poults avaiable. let me know how you get on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS