Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what's the noise about??  (Read 2136 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
what's the noise about??
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:19:12 pm »
Every now and then the chickens seem to break out into a random shouting match - the cockerel joins in and sometimes even the neighbour's hens. Does anyone know what this is about? And - ducks compared to that are vvery quiet creatures! :chook: :&>

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: what's the noise about??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:12:42 pm »
Usually an egg laid, a time for group celebration ;D Or a cat or straying dog spotted or even a fox :o :o

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 02:21:17 pm »
warning or celebration?? can usally tell which it is by how mad they get

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 03:25:41 pm »
the warning sounds different  - must be a celebration then as they go on for half an hour or so until they are exhausted, then start again once recovered! No eggs to celebrate, I checked! ::) :chook: :&>

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:54:05 pm »
I have found that the different breeds have differing amounts of noisiness. The pekins get hysterical over the slightest thing eg a pigeon flying over but they quieten when I go and talk to them. The appenzellers are very vocal generally, just chatting and chuckling to themselves. The dutch bantams are also quite chatty. It tends to be the bigger the bird, the quieter they are. However the chinese geese are the noisiest of all and shout at anything new in the field and if anything gets moved.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 06:35:27 pm »
I've got a white star who celebrates her eggs for a good half hour each time. Then each time one of the others lays, the white star celebrates that too. she's soooooo loud!! now she's started laying in the pregnant goats' shed - said goat is scared silly of this noisy white flappy thing!! (so am I)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS