Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone know  (Read 1951 times)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Does anyone know
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:31:08 am »
where I can get some turkey eggs for hatching? I would like to grow my own for next christmas.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Mel

Re: Does anyone know
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 11:47:26 am »
 :wave: There are some on ebay though I would leave it until later in the year-May-June onwards-unless you wish for huge old birds! There are other places on the web,but they are quite expensive!

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
Or go to your local poultry market in May/June/July.

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 05:41:01 pm »
My turkeys don't usually start to lay until mid-February although the male is 'treading' well now due to the mild weather.....................I always leave it a month into lay before I would start incubating to ensure that the eggs are fertile.
It's a bit early, cold and wet to be thinking of hatching turkey eggs as the poults do need a lot of space so they don't get bored. We like to get ours outside as soon as possible and have built an enclosed moveable shelter from box profile as protection to put their housing/and run in because they can quickly die from hypothermia if they get wet.
We usually get males at 10-11k and females from 5-6k from April/May hatches.
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:48:38 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I've never had turkeys before but did think that they could be a bit more susceptible to the cold than other poultry. I will definitely wait until later in the spring to hatch some.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:00:04 pm »
just remember thay are good flyers...... into the trees etc. ours go high even when clipped ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS