Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing. Three bar or four? What ya reckon?  (Read 12102 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Fencing. Three bar or four? What ya reckon?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 01:31:08 pm »
Ducks are equally weird.  Before I put the green protective stuff on my garden fence the ducks would come through and look for fish in the pond.  The fencing is pig wire - exactly the same as on their own run - which they NEVER come through!!  ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 02:30:42 pm »
four bars look better than three and it will be more sturdier

pierre

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Deep in The Trossachs....
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 10:59:51 am »
Hi John ......

.... that won't keep a fox out ......!!!

Cheers

Pete

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 11:18:48 am »
...ahhh, but maybe John knows about the 'man-pee round the perimeter' trick.  Besides even a eight foot high fence dug in two foot deep down wont stop a determined fox...they just chew through the chicken wire!!!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 11:25:07 am »
Chicken wire will keep the chickens in at ground level, but obviously not stop them getting over it as the fence isn't high enough. If you want to keep them inside the fence it needs to be higher.

If there are dogs on the other side you are taking a risk, as just because the fence is there for them to 'get back over' it doesn't mean they will make it.

Chicken wire will not stop a fox getting in - they will chew it, find a weak spot, and break through. If you want to keep fox out so the birds can range when you aren't about use a proper thicker grade wire. And make the fence about 6ft high.

And the old wives tales about man pee, hair; in my experience, all nonsense.

:farmer:   :chook:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 12:31:12 pm »
Only just seen this post.  My immediate reaction to the original question was, "What is the local style?"  It irritates me when people move into an area and start fixing up their grounds with whatever style they had in their last spot - irrespective of whether it fits in or conflicts with the local style.  Hants-style low white-painted rails look great around Hampshire gardens, but stick out like a sore thumb in northern Cumbria, for instance. 

And I really get upset when people buy wooden field gates on what they think looks pretty without any recognition of the local style.  (Probably mainly because I love the distinctive and unusual - as well as very practical - Exmoor gate, and fretted to see so many boring old diamond-pattern gates getting put up in the area.)

So first off, what's the local style?  If that's random or something that won't work for you, then choose the one you like the most, silly!  :D 

And for fox deterrence - can you run electric along it at 3", 7" and near the top?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 01:13:04 pm »
Ah. Maybe I have misread the original post. I thought the o.p. was trying to make the garden safe for their poultry, not just putting up a garden fence. Two different things, in which case sallyintnorth has a valid point.

:farmer:  :chook:

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 02:34:31 pm »
Here in Perthshire/Angus there is a good mix of all sorts of fencing, and for that matter field boundaries. We are really on the border between hedges and dykes for fields, historically folk used what ever was around, around here that is all sorts. It can be so very localised.

I totally agree that some folks ideas of what looks right can be quite bizzarre... so we do have every thing from white 'South Fork' style urban-ranch fencing to the Portugeuse weaving of old branches and driftwood !!  and off course good Scottish Dykes  ;D

What galls and makes my hoot is people trying to make their patch of the rural community as urban as possible...you can just see the battle of the manicured garden against local nature.....   but dont get me started.!!

Sorry John, wandering off topic!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 04:44:04 pm »
Ah. Maybe I have misread the original post. I thought the o.p. was trying to make the garden safe for their poultry, not just putting up a garden fence.
No I don't think you misread it OhLaLa - it's a garden fence to keep his choox safe.  Still no reason not to follow the local style, so long as it is also practical for the purpose, thinks I. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:20 am »
Hi all. Been off a few days. Firstly my chickens already have a 'sandpit' area 15ft x 18ft fully fenced to 6ft 4" and netted over the top. Dare I say its bullet proof (famous last words!?!) haven't had any losses or attempts in 3yrs! I also use the peewee method (Emma!) the fence is simply to enclose the garden.. Currently there is no fence! It will also allow me to let the chickens free range the garden reasonably safely when im about whilst keeping any dogs out! (lots of dog walkers, dogs not on lead!)

As for local style, there ain't one! No immediate neighbours. Basically three or four bars is the only option simply because it's cheap and won't ruin the view!

4 bars wins I think!!

Thanks all

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »
Four bars looks best to me.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS