Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to charge for renting 1/4 acre for wood storage?  (Read 8011 times)

TigilyC

• Joined Aug 2010
What to charge for renting 1/4 acre for wood storage?
« on: October 05, 2010, 12:09:30 am »
Hi there,

I have a small holding of 1.6 acres in total. The land is in a long, thin triangle, with road frontage along the longest edge. The land is divided into 2 plots of .8 acres. There are 2 ponies in one half, and my small cottage, undergoing extensive renovation sits in the other corner. The ponies are going to move into the half acre across the fence when they've eaten the grass in the side they're on, to give the land a rest.

I've been asked to rent out 1/4 acre, the best place being behind my cottage in one corner, to a man who wants to store firewood for chopping and selling. He'd be interested in renting it for 6 months to a year. He could have access to an old pitch roofed corrugated iron clad shed with this, or not. How much do I charge, with or without shed?? It wouldn't really disturb me too much,  as I'm renovating the house at the moment and so am not living there and won't be for at least another 6 months. However, would mean noise, wood chopping, vans in and out etc. Another activity on site etc.

The smallholding is in East Limerick, Republic of Ireland. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Tiggily C

Sandy

Re: What to charge for renting 1/4 acre for wood storage?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:56:19 am »
I have no idea either but there are a few things to weigh up, some agreement written and signed otherwise things could get sticky way down the line ( e.g. after many years of the person using the land they may think its thiers) There will be wear and tear on the acsess, mud, pot holes fencing broken etc and like you said, noise and intrusion of space. On the other hand, it could work out well, a bit of income, maybe some logs for yourself in with the agreement, and someone there to keep an eye on things. Not sure if space is at a premium there as say a bit of land like that in a built up area would rent for more than a bit of land in the middle of a very rural area. Ask him how much he thinks and work from there!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:08:55 am »
I have rented out my plot(large wooden shed) in Aberdeenshire for storage - beds etc, it has no services, and it is on an ad hoc basis - cash in hand no contract, but my neighbours keep an eye on things for me.  Can PM you how much I get if you like.  Just bear in mind there may be noise and mess so it depends if you will have moved in by the time he is gone.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

TigilyC

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:16:05 am »
Hi there, yes, do let me know. There is a small shed there also, but at the moment no services at all. I was thinking of giving him the shed for a bit extra. I wouldn't be in the house for at least another 6 months so it wouldn't affect me that way. Do drop me an email if you can, to info@celticharmony.ie

The plot would be right next to the house, so i'd have to be careful of how they stack wood, making it safe and not a fire hazard or so that it might fall on anyone. Suggestions welcome. 

Many thanks!

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:40:40 am »
I hope my comments won't depress you!

The intention of my comment here is to measure the downside against the financial benefit.

I rent a 12 acre field of reasonable land to a local farmer for £900 pa. I have been told that £100/acre pa is considered a reasonable price but I get on with this farmer and he isn't going to leave me with a mess (I hope) so the price suits me.

Now, if you rent your field to the wood man and he uses heavy machines (lorries and trailers) to transport the wood, it may leave you with a badly rutted field. Also, if the work results in poor quality wood (old pallets etc.) half buried in the mud it's another problem.

You might want to ask what he did before using your land. If the previous land owners go fed up with the mess, you have to think what you are getting into.

I would suggest that any doubts about the potential problems and it's not going to be worthwhile to rent the field. I cannot see you getting more than £100 for 6 months use so where is the benefit?

If you could do a deal where the rent is paid in logs - if you use logs to heat your cottage - it might be more interesting.

On this basis, you could agree a deal with payment in logs plus an agreement to clean up after. Take some photos of the field before and after as evidence of his performance.

Oh also, usually an agricultural let is with 12 months notice so you could be stuck with this arrangement for 2 years minimum unless you make it clear that the first 6 months is a trial period subject to termination at the end of the 6 months.

NN

Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

TigilyC

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:59:57 am »
hi there, no they're all great, very useful comments - thank you! i'll find out about heavy lorries and machinery too. And of course, a written contract with a 6 month lease, and clauses about clearing up on leaving would all be essential. Maybe a part deal about using logs too would be good. However, I won't need any for at least another 6-12 months as I'm not living there at present, just slowly renovating, and waiting for building conservation grant applications to be processes etc. Things are slow over here!

Thanks

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 03:48:57 pm »
Hi, just adding my tuppenceworth too  ;)
Consider carefully what you have around your property and how secure it would be. The amount of thefts I hear about are unreal  :o
Especially if you're not there all the time, and lots of people are coming and going. It could be easy pickings for thiefs and vandals.  :(
Karen x

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 02:04:25 pm »
you may also want to consider the planning side of things ?. I don't know what your planning regs are , but here if your land is registered as agricultural , you may /would be using the 1/4 acre for non agricultural purposes ie running a business, and would therefore possibly be eligible to pay business rates  . This may apply even though you are just renting it out .
 You may want to check things out just in case.  Don't want to put the mockers on it ...if I wanted to do it , I would just do it ...but thats me  !!!
Also , if you did do it and were paid in wood for a fire , you want to season it for at least a year anyway , so the six month you won't be there would be part of the seasoning process !

cheers

Russ

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:19:40 am »
I personally wouldn't consider it, as the potential income v potential  drawbacks (eloquently described above) just doesn't make it worth it.
  Don't forget there's winter coming on and your grass will soon be eaten up and there will be no more appreciable grass growth till spring. That bit of land + building could prove invaluable to you to keep your ponies later in the year when your grass has all gone and your pasture all muddy.  It's worth more than any rent you'll get to have an alternative place to put your ponies and give your grass a chance to recover.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 12:55:51 pm »
Don't do it:

Mud instead of grass
Rutted gate entrance - and it will stay rutted unless worked on to remove - and will he actually do that?
Machine noise (even radio noise a possibility)
Wood splinters, bark, debris left on/in ground - and this will cover a wide area - and can't be cleared up thoroughly
On site machinery and tools (tractors, trailers, petrol driven saws, log splitters.....)
Extra traffic inc movement of said tractors, trailers, lorries.....
Possibility of day to day debris (fag ends, food wrappers etc etc etc)

oh - and don't forget the hired help/visiting mates that like to have a nose around....
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:59:27 pm by OhLaLa »

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 09:58:20 am »
The roar of the chainsaw? Don't do it!

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 08:17:29 pm »
a contract written up properly by solicitor might cost more than the annual rent, then the way to enforce contract conditions if he doesnt keep his side of bargain is small claims court, and every solicitors letters is £100. iv bin asked quite a few times for rent of something or other, and sounds good, but when i work out costings ie insurance etc, its never worthwhile.
shame  tho

waterhouse

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 04:44:50 pm »
you do need a written contract however informal because you want the land back on a certain or determinable date, in the same condition or better, and only to be used for the purposes agreed. 

An oral contract is, as they say, not worth the paper it's written on.  In any case all contracts involving a disposition of land (and renting is I think a disposition) are only enforeceable if in writing.  My knowledge of the Law of Property Act is a bit rusty.

macvity

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 11:44:16 pm »
dont do this its not worth it.im a timber guy in co clare and firewood do make a big mess.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS