Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing. Three bar or four? What ya reckon?  (Read 12120 times)

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
Fencing. Three bar or four? What ya reckon?
« on: January 28, 2012, 03:21:08 pm »
Hi all. Looking to put up a 'ranch style fence around the garden. Approx 90cm to 1m high. Can't decide on three bars or four. Once up I'm planning to nail a roll of chicken mesh over the top so the chickens can free range the garden in relative safety.

I've 'mocked up' a rough idea of what the fence will look like in three or four bar variety. What's your thoughts please?

Try and see past the algae in the wood... Just happened to have four bars the same size as the sawmill is offering so it's just for a like for like comparison.

Personally I'm swaying towards the four bar... But cut off at the height of the third bar... If that makes sense?? Ie 90cm tall instead of a metre with the three bars a little closer together?!?

What ya reckon?

John.

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
Re: Fencing. Three bar or four? What ya reckon?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 03:24:44 pm »
Worth adding that at 70m of fence, the three bar option would save me money... But I'd rather go for the best 'look' than cheaper cost... If you know what I mean!

And reason for the low ranch style fence is so as not to ruin the view too much!

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 03:28:14 pm »
'the view'

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 04:10:31 pm »
Johnmac, I'm no expert but the 4 bar looks nicest to me

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 04:19:28 pm »
The four bar is going to be sturdiest and maybe slightly more stock proof, but I prefer the look of the 3 bar  :-\
Sorry, not much help !  ::) :D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 04:47:24 pm »
It won't keep your chickens in whether 3 or 4 bar unless the chicken wire is going round the sides and down under the earth as well as over the top. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 04:58:33 pm »
as Annie has said  it would need to be totally enclosed    hens will flap up onto the top rail and out   they also scrape there way out at the bottom    the bottom has to be dug into the ground or laid on top and pinned to the ground   4by 4 posts and fishing net if you can get it  to cover the top :farmer:

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 05:11:27 pm »
Hi John,

I think the four bars, as close together as you can....I would even hazard suggesting five bars....I love spending other folks money, hehe. four or five will be stronger, and will give your plants, and animlas when they are in the area,  more wind protection! ...just with three bars looks puney,   sorrrryyyy  ::) !!
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 06:21:15 pm »
Four bars looks better IMHO. But as already said, 1m won't keep them in and it will need to be pegged down  ;D

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 06:45:38 pm »
four bars is about 25% more work, and about 3% less view!!

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 07:08:01 pm »
Thanks all for the feedback! With regard to keeping the hens in. I will be putting chicken mesh over the full height of the fence and digging it into the ground. I know they'll still have the option of flying over it, but it means they have a 'reasonably safe' enclosure they can fly over for some safety if someone walks by with a loose dog... Which often happens.

Once my fence is up I'll be able to put signs up saying 'Dogs chasing livestock will be shot' :-)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 07:56:06 pm »
Sadly not..... You can shoot them if they do chase  but warning signs like that are apparently deemed to be threatening (not sure why since if their dogs dont chase there shouldnt be an issue!)

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 08:00:15 pm »
Don't have a gun, but they don't know that!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 08:47:10 pm »
4 bars for me just like ours. When the wire is up it won't make a lot of difference though. Chickens might be straight over it unless 1.5 metres high -depends on the breed. Weve added another 600mm to the top of ours. Consider standard wire widths when you set the height of the fence allowing for 6" under the ground.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 10:55:56 pm »
Somehow, chickens will do what they do, though!  We have a 5 and 1/2 foot fence round the inner, smaller, sanctum/run...and a 3 and 1/2 foot fence round the outer perimeters of the bigger field.  The hens regularly fly over the inner high fence... yet never fly over the outer smaller fence.... ???  :-\ :-\??? they know where they are safe and where they are likely to get chased by our dogs -  :thumbsup:
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS