Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First eggs of the year  (Read 5847 times)

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
First eggs of the year
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:44:09 pm »
finally some of my chickens have started laying. to my suprise in the light sussexs nest box today found 2 eggs. i know they only eggs but its the first home layed eggs ive ever had and cant describe how chuffed it made me  then later one of my ewes went into labour , springs finally here i think :)

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: First eggs of the year
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:19 pm »
It is a wonderful feeling.  I took a picture of our first egg when it was on the plate ready to eat, and it was a double yolker.  :)

lee.arron

• Joined Jan 2012
  • shropshire
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:48:38 pm »
i got to do something special with my eggs, got them in the fridge and keep looking at them    so proud haha

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:39:44 pm »
Me tto, picked up my first three today for ages - spring is sprung - well nearly ..................  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:30:55 am »
I did not know that chickens stopped laying in the winter and wonder why my OH seems pleased with the daily egg count. Our ducks have been laying for the last 2-3 weeks but we fear it maybe too cold for them to rear ducklings.
Egg curry or Duck Egg Soup anyone?
Note to self - maybe I should read up on chickens.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 07:59:11 am »
This is my first year of keeping hens and I froze some eggs to see me through the non-laying part of the year.  Still in the freezer as they didn't stop laying!   ;D.  I also took a photo of my girls first egg/s and I did a special baked egg with ham and  sauce with my first one.  It still thrills me to pick up eggs every day, but not quite as much as the first one.  Great isn't it?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 08:46:44 am »
My hens are now paying for their own keep plus eggs that we use and, as I can't help collecting hens, I will soon be giving them away :D

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:29:43 am »
Having kept chickens for the best part of ten years now , we always ended up buying eggs at this time of year, except for this year , our lot just have not stopped laying , yesterday we picked up a couple of dozen and we even have a couple of ex battery hens going broody, even our Toulouse Geese are mating . the wild ducks are all paired up , daffs are in bloom and the snowdrops are all out. so the light at the end of the tunnel may not be an oncoming train....or some rotten sod has set fire to the tunnel...

Sandy

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 09:37:31 am »
I must go and check, they used to lay in a hut under our big trees so it was dark, now its light there so you never know.......I have been buying eggs and they are not a patch on your own, small, weak and pale!!! I shall run and check.....................................later ::)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:33:16 pm »
I did not know that chickens stopped laying in the winter and wonder why my OH seems pleased with the daily egg count. Our ducks have been laying for the last 2-3 weeks but we fear it maybe too cold for them to rear ducklings.
Egg curry or Duck Egg Soup anyone?
Note to self - maybe I should read up on chickens.

I'm very jealous. My ducks won't start laying for another 3 weeks at least on previous form! I miss eggs over winter, can just never face buying horrid shop eggs!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 09:42:19 pm »
snowdrops here - Aberdeenshire - call ducks getting frisky - Penny Hen will hopefully lay soon - at 10 years, every egg is a bonus
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 09:07:57 am »
Our eggs haven't stopped this year.  They went down in number a little but I am now getting between 5 and 7 eggs a day which isn't bad for 7 layers.  Been eating lots of quiche and custards and home made ice cream and haven't had to buy eggs in for ages.  I only started with hens last year and I love having the eggs and watching them parade around the garden every day.
Melanie x

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 08:03:47 pm »
Congratulations Iam666 it is a great feeling when you get your first egg. Mine was 15+ years ago but still remember how excited we all were. Enjoy your own fresh layed eggs, hopefully for many years to come. :thumbsup:

montana

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 08:33:52 pm »
3 out of 4 of our hens are laying and a couple of days ago we had our first goose egg from our chinese goose.

Sandy

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 11:17:18 pm »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EGGS!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS