Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bantams versus Large fowl  (Read 2736 times)

STING

• Joined Jan 2012
Bantams versus Large fowl
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:13:05 pm »
I am considering bantams and  would love to hear from your experience. I have had hens for the past 2 years now and thought bantams  might be good to try too.
In your opinion, are they quieter than large fowl? I live in a semi in a not so rural area and need to consider neighbours.
They will be for egg laying and not breeding purposes.
Any type you can recommend both for tasty eggs and suitability for situations where neighbours are near.?

Thank you in anticipation.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Re: Bantams versus Large fowl
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:47:40 pm »
My bantams are definitely noisier than the larger birds. I do like my lavender araucanas as they lay a very pretty blue/green egg. They have laid throughout winter, albeit not every day and they are relatively quiet. If you are not breeding them then there is no need for a cockerel and they are the noisiest birds.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:59:35 pm »
i got a mix of both LF for eggs and bantams for looks bantams eggs are nicer imo but bantams go broody alot so for what you want i would just stick to LF. i aint fussed on eggs one bit so  i got a mix of hens i recently bought a trio of dutch bantams which im hoping if and when they come into lay sell fertile eggs after a test hatch.  i got 5 pekins for broodies/eggs 1 black silkie for broody/eggs 1 welsummer bantam for broody/eggs i got 1 bluebell 1 hyline soon to have 5 copper marans to sell  if they hatch on friday. there all about the same noise  chickens make noise some louder than others. i got houses all around my garden and there only about 50 mtrs max away from pen

STING

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:43:10 am »
I guess the noise they make is limited to the usual egg song time and not all the time?  My current large fowl make a loud noise when they see me .. always expecting some corn and  kitchen scraps ! They seem to have learnt very quickly to associate my presence with food.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:31:10 pm »
Brown or white English Leghorn Bantams. Our hens are quiet and lay 200 eggs a year at 50 grammes each from 80 grammes of feed per day. Very flighty so need high run wall or a top. Don't like cold, so below freezing will need heat in the coop -we put ours in the greenhouse over Winter so no draughts and keeps warmer but, because we have no electricity there, we have to bring them inside at -5 degrees. They get frostbite of their combs and stand in the coop shivering at those temperatures.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS