Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: They have arrived !  (Read 4368 times)

Horse & Farm

• Joined Dec 2011
  • North Cumbria
They have arrived !
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:42:58 pm »
My two beautiful British Lops have farrowed - I am a grandfather ! (and bursting with paternal pride).  :love:

Darling Harmony managed a fearsome 14 piglets, and Mary a far more sensible 9. Both, so far, have worked out that these are precious and should not be rolled on, stood on or squished, but it has taken two sleepless nights of 'rescuing' before the message sank in.
They have both been very easy to handle through it all, and never once lost their tempers with me, which says more about how nice they are than my pig skills.

Due to my unsociable milking hours, the other half has been roped in to watch them, which has been a bit of a blessing as her soothing words have been greatly appreciated (thats soothing words to the pigs, I got the semi-hysterical ranting about responsibility for little lives, panic phone calls etc).

I have to say, never has my bed seemed so welcoming !

Fingers crossed now that they all make it to weaning and beyond, and that at least some of them can go on to be entered in the stud book.

:pig:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:20:03 pm by horseandfarm »
"A good farmer is nothing more nor less than a handy man with a sense of humus"

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: They have arrived !
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:47:00 pm »
Aaaaaaah, bless!!!  :love:

Have fun staring at them  ;) ;D

Mel

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 05:47:45 pm »
My two beautiful British Lops have farrowed - I am a grandfather ! (and bursting with paternal pride).  :love:

Darling Harmony managed a fearsome 14 piglets, and Mary a far more sensible 9. Both, so far, have worked out that these are precious and should not be rolled on, stood on or squished, but it has taken two sleepless nights of 'rescuing' before the message sank in.
They have both been very easy to handle through it all, and never once lost their tempers with me, which says more about how nice they are than my pig skills.

Due to my unsociable milking hours, the other half has been roped in to watch them, which has been a bit of a blessing as her soothing words have been greatly appreciated (thats soothing words to the pigs, I got the semi-hysterical ranting about responsibility for little lives, panic phone calls etc).

I have to say, never has my bed seemed so welcoming !

Fingers crossed now that they all make it to weaning and beyond, and that at least some of them can go on to be entered in the stud book.

:pig:

Piccies Please  ;D

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 05:48:20 pm »
Fantastic, just waiting for my BS sow to farrow any day now, it will be my first as well, fingers crossed.

Horse & Farm

• Joined Dec 2011
  • North Cumbria
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 05:52:43 pm »
They are amazing "time bandits" - I could watch them for hours.
I am so proud of the girls, and taken to waiting on their every whim.

I shall try to post some piccies  ;)

Good Luck with yours Markcott !

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 05:56:08 pm »
Ah, spring must be on the way  ;D Babies everywhere  :thumbsup:

Congratulations on your Lops Horse & Farm and good luck Markcott (if she's a first time mum get the sweetheart stout at the ready  ;))

Piglets are definately the best way to waste time  ;) :D :D :D :D :D Hours and hours you'll spend watching & smiling  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 06:31:09 pm »
yep lops are great mothers and are not vicious in protecting there young   did you get them from carole Barr :farmer:

Horse & Farm

• Joined Dec 2011
  • North Cumbria
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 06:39:07 pm »
Yes we got them from Carole in Coniston

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 08:04:07 pm »
Beeeeauuuutiful!   :love: :love: :pig: :pig: :pig:  Many congratulations to you and your clever girls.

I don't think you can beat the blessing of a litter of healthy piglets growing up around the spot.  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 08:52:09 pm »
they're lovely. congratulations :love:
Little Blue

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 10:34:32 pm »
They are all amazing.  Just adorable.  :)

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 11:22:58 pm »
 Congratulations you must be worn out, but well worth the hard work. Just enjoy them now. :pig: :thumbsup: :pig: :thumbsup: :pig: :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 07:55:38 am »
Wow - wonderful litters! Wel done you, OH and the girls :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 09:17:49 am »
Oh Horse&Farm, truly gorgeous, well done your girls and especially you for spending so much time with them, i stay all night with my GOS when they farrow just in case, they are amazing mums, enjoy them and thats a goodly number of lops to help the breed along hopefully you'll have some suitable for registration in the herd book.
best of luck.
Mandy  :pig:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 10:48:15 pm »
Congratulations they are lovely. Hopefully we will find out if one of ours (GOS first time)
 is pregnant next Friday
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS