Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heart girth formula - I DONT BELIEVE MY RESULTS!!!!!  (Read 2965 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Heart girth formula - I DONT BELIEVE MY RESULTS!!!!!
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:58:26 am »
Picked up on previous threads (as below) and have come up with some ridiculous (I think ) results??.....
                                                    HG                Length                          Weight
Arrow female (Smallest)          0.98m           1.09m                           72.54 Kg 
Pork male        (biggest)          1.1m              1.2m                             100.6 Kg  !!!!!!     He does seem well covered (but not fat, but hes only 5 months old and a saddle back

The only thing I can think is that the length is out because they were heads down feeding? Help - Our butcher recommeded from his experience that that we dont let Saddlebacks go over 60Kg.  HELP!!!!

The formula is heart girth x heart girth (round their body, just behind the front leg) multiplied by length (from base of ear to base of tail) all measured in meters multiplied by 69.3 - gives you the liveweight, within 5 Kg apparently  ;) Dunno if it really is that exact (not having a weigh crate to double check) but it does give you a 'ballpark'  :thumbsup:
So, if they measure 0.9m (or 90cm or 36 inches in old money) round and 0.95m long, the calculation would look like this:
0.9 x 0.9 (Hearth girth squared) = 0.81
0.81 x 0.95 = 0.7695
0.7695 x 69.3 = 53.3Kg

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Heart girth formula - I DONT BELIEVE MY RESULTS!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 10:22:20 am »
hi
are you measureing the length  head up/level or down.
it can make a difference of up to 3 inches when we have done them
Mx

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:25:53 am »
Your figures are right, you will find that the girth is usually the same as the length give or take. Knocking your length down to the same as girth will give you 92 kg for your largest one so not much in it.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:59:25 pm »
All looks okay calculation wise - is it definately 1.1m & 1.2m (110 and 120 cm respectively or is it 101 & 102 cm - this could make a few kilos difference too)

Although the butcher maybe says 60Kg, there are plenty of folk who'll tell you different  ;) Maybe he's talking about deadweight ?
What age are they roughly and when were you planning on sending them ? If it's soon I wouldn't worry overly  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:59:14 am »
thanks all - they are just 5 months old and I measured them heads down whilst feeding (whilst they are friendly and love a scratch I didnt think they would stay still enough unless feeding).  I'll have a go at nmeasuring them heads traight and book em in PDQ!!  Also It is poss that the butcher was talking deadweight - hadn't though of that!

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 05:27:52 pm »
The only thing I can think is that the length is out because they were heads down feeding?

i measured a horse for a neck cover once, when he had his head down eating. when it arrived it was ridiculously long!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS