Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how long should I rest the ground before having new batch of chickens?  (Read 1795 times)

STING

• Joined Jan 2012
No that I have been read your interesting comments, I have decided to  have a batch of dual purpose birds after the current ones I have.. I have a fixed coop housed in a covered run. Floor is covered with wood chip, i pick the poop every day and use aubiose horse bedding in the coop.
I understand i need the ground to rest between batches.. What is the  optimum time to rest the ground and what do i need to do to help rejuvenate the ground.. ? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: how long should I rest the ground before having new batch of chickens?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 12:05:13 am »
I've just read an article that says wood bark isn't good as it harbours Aspergillus; the article recommends pea gravel or rubber bits that can be hosed down.

The Soil Association stipulates that land should be rested for 40 weeks between batches.

Putting down hydrated lime helps raise soil pH, which will have been made acidic by the poop - and grass grows best in soil about pH6.5. The lime also helps kill bugs. I think you can also buy a disinfectant to put down but can't remember what it is.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:43:34 am »
I wouldn't bother about the disinfectant, the less chemicals you put on your land the better :)If you don't bother with the lime either between every batch, I would rest the ground for 6-8 weeks between batches and lime once a year then re-site your run for the next year's worth. I would, though, rake the ground thoroughly between batches and give it a really good watering. Also include a non-chemical wormer in the feed right from the start.

STING

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:33:21 pm »
Thanks, worth making sure I have rested the ground and prepare for the next batch, I do not have the luxury of re positioning the coop and run, so resting and prep of the patch is my best bet. I will think about next best options for replacing the wood chip flooring.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS