Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vets hope its good news  (Read 13361 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: vets hope its good news
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 09:49:38 pm »
Im vvvvvv sorry it wasnt great news.

Take hope from the fact that you are both back home together and shes not in pain so theres not that horridness now; hopefully you will have a long time before anything comes back. Thinking of you and so is Monty 'fatty lump' Doberman and Taggie terrier.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 09:57:17 pm »
I know exactly how you feel GG.  Freckles has had three mammary tumours removed now, and I know she runs a high risk of more appearing.  But I asked them not to test them - no point to be honest, as what the treatment will be will depend on how she is feeling if any more appear.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 11:10:10 pm »
thank you all , im hoping as it was 3 lumbs that was removed that will be all for a little while she goes back on friday to have her stitches removed then im going to chat to vet about the change in her moods the past month she still on her diet and has lost some weight she isnt happy with her diet food but im now undecided with this as do i go back to her fatty food and make her happy or do i stick with her diet and watch her unhappy and hungrey but will it make her happy in the long run will it keep her alive so much going on in my brain cell its over heating with uncertainty

Sandy

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 11:16:08 pm »
We have to decide, i still think about my mum, she had cancer all over her and was an ALcoholic, I sooo remember nog letting her hav alcohol but giving her morphine,,,in some ways I should have bought her a bottle of wine or something as she did not live much longer...Its up to you...do what you thinK

Eeyore

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 12:52:26 pm »
Oh sweatheart I am so sorry to hear about your baby.  This time last year I was in your position.  My little rescue westie girl developed a couple of lumps around her teats.  She had developed a lump about a year before and we had it removed and tested and it was benign.  This time we thought it would be the same but we were wrong.  The dreaded telephone call - to say that it was "high grade mammory carsinoma". 

My little girl was my baby and we sought to do anything we could to fight this.  We were advised that chemo or radio therapy wasn't successful in this type of cancer and there was nothing we could do.  I bought a natrual product on the net called "Essiac" which is specially for cancer but this didn't help us. 

After 2 weeks of her appetite deminishing and trying everything possible to get her better we had to make the decision to send her to heaven.  The most important thing for us was never to let her suffer and I know we made the right decision at the right time.

I hope so much that your baby comes through this.  My friend's German Shepheard got a type of cancer and through treatment came out the other side and has been healthy ever since - so there is hope for some.

Sincerely Best Wishes

Alice x

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 03:17:55 pm »
thank you all , im hoping as it was 3 lumbs that was removed that will be all for a little while she goes back on friday to have her stitches removed then im going to chat to vet about the change in her moods the past month she still on her diet and has lost some weight she isnt happy with her diet food but im now undecided with this as do i go back to her fatty food and make her happy or do i stick with her diet and watch her unhappy and hungrey but will it make her happy in the long run will it keep her alive so much going on in my brain cell its over heating with uncertainty

I would be finding out the nutritional makeup of the diet food and then trying to find a more palatable alternative that is as close as possible to it but which she prefers (and which may you never know be a bit cheaper!). Buying online is def cheaper and becomes a possibility too if its not something that has to be prescribed.

If you post the nutrient info of the food and the weight/cost of the sacks Im sure we can manage to find something tastier with the same weight benefits if you'd like.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 04:46:56 pm »
thank you lachlanandmarrcus i will def do that when ive got one of the kids to dog sit her as she is trying to eat her leg when she is left alone so a toilet break is impossiable while the kids are at school and im having to try and get my outside jobs done before they go so im in the same room as her at all times

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 09:04:36 pm »
now i know this is going to sound realy dumb but how do i tell what her nutritional makeup is of her food the weight of the sacks is 12kg and she is alloud 315grams a day it cost £48 including vat

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 10:32:55 pm »
It should tell you on the bag the ingredients list and also percentages of each category.  Put them up here and we can see if there is anything else that might suit her and won't break the bank.  Is it Hills?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2012, 11:17:00 pm »
yes its hills i will get my daughter to read them of to me in the morning as i cant see such small writing , my dog nicked some bread tonight will that afect her diet as i dont know if its fatting the vet said she can have carrot sticks as treats but she dont like much veg unless its coverd in dog food so im struggling to get her to eat it there where pleased with the fact she has lost some weight she did weigh 39.8 she now weighs 38.9 but i think thats more due to the fact she not realy eating she will eat all thats down for her every other day , she might be weight again on friday when she goes to hopful have stitches out unless she has done some damage by eating her leg today it looks sore and not healed yet unlike the one on her paw which looks good  :(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 09:46:17 am »
Has your vet not given you a buster collar to stop her chewing her leg?  You can use spray on elastoplast on it to help heal it - it will nip for a second or to, but it will also put her off with the smell and taste.

Bread, rice and pasta have carbohydrates(lots of calories) - that is fattening.  For one of mine that got overweight after an operation I puréed cooked vegetables and mixed that in with her food and managed to get 2 kgs off her in 2 weeks, and maintain the weight loss till she was back exercising again.  Wish I had the will power for myself too  ;D

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 10:00:34 am »
they otherd me a buster collar unfortnal when she was spayed we found out she was so scared of them our vet at the time had to give her something to calm her down after wearing it for a little while , so it was out of the question this time she is just so scared of things was told to watch her 24/7 which was fine right up to family had to go home then i forgot that to do outside animals would leave her on her own as she not aloud out there to much mud , so its been rather long days trying to get all my outside jobs done before 8am so kids can go to school then back out when they get home to do the afternoon feeding and cleaning then im up most of the night making sure she dont eat her leg , so the bread i will need to make sure the kids have put it away its the first time she has nicked food from the side be glad when her stitches are out then i can get some sleep and back to normaly job hours the animals will like it better then getting there breakfast so early and there tea so late

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 11:16:11 am »
My heart goes out to you. Like so many others who've responded I too have just been going through this.  I lost one of my flatcoats early last year to cancer and my other one, Harry, had lumps which turned out to be fatty and is on a diet now. 

We've been feeding Royal Canin Satiety Support which is higher in fibre (32% more but low density) to make them feel fuller - he also finds it very tasty as it has a high chicken content.  Over the past 5 months he's gone from 43kg to 37kg with no hunger issues (although a new puppy has helped) and looks very fit.  We fed about 300g a day split into three meals (because of the puppy) and the bag lasts over 6 weeks. There are usually lots of internet offers aswell.  The vet nurse gave us a plastic measuring cup which has helped keep the amounts correct and we also used raw carrot as treats.

Although you are being bombarded with lots of practical advice, I hope you are also getting the sympathy we all feel for your situation, some days it is just really hard!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 04:10:46 pm »
Have you looked to buy the food online? i buy Hills JD for my Lab on line much cheaper, Royal canin diets are very good, they don't make them poo as much as Hills RD and i found then to fill the dogs up. Also feeding several meals helps. Good luck
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS