Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cats and ducks - an experiment  (Read 15757 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
cats and ducks - an experiment
« on: March 21, 2009, 06:11:18 pm »
Today I decided to allow the cat into the ducks' area under supervision, as she wants to follow me when I'm outside and never understood why she wasn't allowed into the main garden since last year. After a few seconds all of the ducks ran towards her, stopping maybe 2 meters from her and staring at her. Now, that surprised me. Did they just check her out or recognised her as a predator, I wonder? I had to rescue the poor thing in the end...:&>

sandy

Re: cats and ducks - an experiment
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 06:28:10 pm »
I think Ducks :&> and Chickns :chook: are far too big for the domestic Cat :cat: I took my new Lab in to see the Hens, he was OK after a few mins, he went a bit fast towards them and one sqwaked off and hid but then he took the oppertunity to sniff around. My other 2 Dogs ever bothered and neither did my daughters 4 dogs, in fact her neighbours Hens are comming overf her fence to eat all her newly panted stuff in the veg patch and the dogs let them!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 12:04:35 am »
Well you all know what happened when my cat got among the pigeons - oops sorry wrong species - dogs got among the ducks ;)  But my cats, although the bring in rabbits nd magpies never go near my poultry.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 04:44:03 pm »
My young cat and our 3 Golden Retrievers wander around the free range ducks and chickens without any problems.
The cat has never known anything different but the dogs were originally "city boys" and had never seen a chicken. They chased them a few times then lost interest.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:52:58 pm »
Un fortunately my dogs are not just retrievers.  They are basically a hunting breed and anything that moves will be pointed, flushed, and retrieved - preferably after being shot.  But if still alive are brought back safely.  My two ginger cats aren't at all interested in the ducks and chickens
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 06:34:24 pm »
Lucky the dogs brought back your ducks in one piece, Annie! Years back one of our neighbours' dogs (hunting terrier breed) broke into the bunny's run and decapitated it. Not nice!!
Some folks had problems with their cat bringing back dead ducklings. I'm glad ours is scared of them and probably won't be tempted to go near them if we have wee ones again. No sign of any duck going broody, but the second house isn't ready yet anyway, lol. :&>

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:10:00 pm »
Both our two cats and the dog stroll through the chickens without even bothering to look at them. The chickens grumble a bit but generally ignore them in return!

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 07:59:22 pm »
Our old cat was a great hunter, mice, frogs, voles, even half alive blue tits ! He just loved to bring them in and give you his latest 'present'.
But our Muscovy's proved too tempting for him, he didn't bother the adults - they must've been too big for him but he killed the ducklings and brought them to us on a daily basis - it was truely heartbreaking.  :'(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 04:01:39 pm »
Our chickens chase the cats  :chook:

sandy

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 04:31:05 pm »
Ben, my new lad :dog: helped me send the chickens back into thier garden today....good boy xxxxxx he was only going to sniff them :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS